opinion on new wheels

Started by phat rat, November 06, 2006, 05:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat rat

Just got some new wheels today. These are to replace the one that got screwed up in Alabama. I'm not sure I'm happy with the way the centers are. They do not fit flush against the hub because of the recess on the back, also not sure about the lack of ribbing in the center. The old ones are not like this. These are from the same wheel company just a few years apart. What do you guys think? Needless concern? I'm posting pics of the new and the old.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Dave

Never quite seen it done tht way Jack but I dont know why it wouldnt work ok. If you were doing full on burnouts and going 200 mph then I might question it a bit.
Dave

Rayvyn

Quote from: "phat rat"Just got some new wheels today. These are to replace the one that got screwed up in Alabama. I'm not sure I'm happy with the way the centers are. They do not fit flush against the hub because of the recess on the back, also not sure about the lack of ribbing in the center. The old ones are not like this. These are from the same wheel company just a few years apart. What do you guys think? Needless concern? I'm posting pics of the new and the old.

Any chance of making a spacer to fill the void?
I'd be a little concerned about cranking the lugnuts down too much and perhaps concaving the centers a little, but maybe that's a little drastic.
How does it affect the tire clearance near the fenders?
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

phat rat

Just measured the back and it's shy about 1/8" from seating tight against the hub around the bolt holes. This gap is just the small ring that the lug bolt holes are in, so that's the concern. The rest fits tight.  Bry, fender clearance isn't an issue.

enjenjo

Shouldn't be a problem. that raised ring is designed to hold tension on the lug nuts keeping them tight. Mopar has used that design for some time now, like 30 years.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

Quote from: "enjenjo"Shouldn't be a problem. that raised ring is designed to hold tension on the lug nuts keeping them tight. Mopar has used that design for some time now, like 30 years.

Thanks, I guess if it's been used that long it should be fine

Rayvyn

Quote from: "phat rat"
Quote from: "enjenjo"Shouldn't be a problem. that raised ring is designed to hold tension on the lug nuts keeping them tight. Mopar has used that design for some time now, like 30 years.

What happened to that $4,000 set of FOOSE wheels you were looking at in Tampa?
You know, the one's you told me not to tell your wife about... :?:
Oops, she didn't hear me did she? :lol:  :lol:
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

phat rat

Quote from: "Rayvyn"
Quote from: "phat rat"

What happened to that $4,000 set of FOOSE wheels you were looking at in Tampa?
You know, the one's you told me not to tell your wife about... :?:
Oops, she didn't hear me did she? :lol:  :lol:

Wouldn't matter if she did.  8) She would say if you want them go for it.  :D