Another 'tupid question. This time on a generator.

Started by moondisc, April 13, 2004, 08:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moondisc

One for the old guys.
How do you polarize a generator?
I use to know, then CRS set in.

slocrow

Quote from: "moondisc"One for the old guys.

Ya know it's been a while and CRS has also set in here but that having been said, if I remember correctly we use to spark the voltage regulator that was usually mounted on a inner fender. It had three terminals and we would cause an arc or spark by grounding the center one with the right one. I can't remember what those tabs are labeled. If I'm incorrect someone here will correct me but that was the general idea. When we couldn't remember which to spark we'd do both ends although a spark would only happen with one set.........
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Ohio Blue Tip

To polarize a generator, momentarily touch a jumper wire between the (GEN) terminal and the (BATT) terminal at the regulator.  Then start the engine and you should be set.

Old guy.  :mrgreen:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

moondisc

Old guys with better memories than me!
Thanks guys.

paul2748

If I remember correctly, you take the field wire off the regulator and touch it momentarily to the battery terminal on the regulator.  You will get a spark but that is ok.

Skip

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"

To polarize a generator, momentarily touch a jumper wire between the (GEN) terminal and the (BATT) terminal at the regulator.  Then start the engine and you should be set.

Old guy.  :mrgreen:

there's two ways to polarize a regulator and it depends on the type of generator you have that determins which way is correct.  (in some systems, the field is grounded to make the generator charge, in others vaotage is applied to the fields to make the generator charge)

One type, you jumper the BAT to the ARM, the other type you jumper the FLD to the BAT.
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "Skip"
there's two ways to polarize a regulator and it depends on the type of generator you have that determins which way is correct.  (in some systems, the field is grounded to make the generator charge, in others vaotage is applied to the fields to make the generator charge)

One type, you jumper the BAT to the ARM, the other type you jumper the FLD to the BAT.

Skip, how do you know which type you have?  ..... Can you tell the difference visually, or must you look inside the regulator, or ????
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Skip

Skip, how do you know which type you have?  ..... Can you tell the difference visually, or must you look inside the regulator, or ????[/quote]

Stick a volt meter on the field terminal when the engine's running.
If there's voltage there, you have an internally-grounded generator and the regulator is applying voltage to the field to control the output of the generator.

If it's an externally-grounded field, there won't be voltage on the field terminal and grounding it will cause the generator to run wide open.  Externally grounded field generators are polarized by jumpering BAT to ARM.

FWIW, the CORRECT way to polarize an internally-grounded field generator is to REMOVE THE FIELD WIRE FROM THE REGULATOR AND TOUCH IT TO THE BATTERY WIRE.  ...then put it back.
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

Bruce Dorsi

Thanks, Skip!  

I learned something new today, thanks to you!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

moondisc

QuoteI learned something new today, thanks to you!
Me too. I learned that mine is internally grounded.
Thanks Skip. You da man!  :D

slocrow

Thanks Skip. Never to old to learn............ :)
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...