1999 Old Pass Key Light

Started by Fat Cat, November 05, 2006, 03:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fat Cat

My wife's Olds Silohouette has decided to turn this light on, on the dashboard as of late. It does not always stay on when you start the car up but from time to time it will come on at startup and stay on until you turn the car off. The book for the says that it just means that the security for the ignition disable is not functioning as long as the light is on. How do I figure out where the problem is so I can fix it. My first thought was there is something wrong with the key but both keys do it. They are also the original keys that came with the car new.

oiler

Quote from: "Fat Cat"My wife's Olds Silohouette has decided to turn this light on, on the dashboard as of late. It does not always stay on when you start the car up but from time to time it will come on at startup and stay on until you turn the car off. The book for the says that it just means that the security for the ignition disable is not functioning as long as the light is on. How do I figure out where the problem is so I can fix it. My first thought was there is something wrong with the key but both keys do it. They are also the original keys that came with the car new.

it may be as simple as relearning the keys.
I have seen them lose there memory over time.
Without knowing what Passkey code is set it's hard to say where the problem is.
The fact that the van still starts means that it hasn't set a hard passkey code but that may not always happen ( as in you get stuck somewhere with a no start)
It has the set the code while the engine has been running as oppposed to setting on the start cycle.
So it knows it hasn't been stolen BUT it does know there's a problem with the security system.
If I knew what code was set I could give you more info. , you may need to get ahold of a scanner and then i could help you out.
Jeff

Fat Cat

What sort of scanner do I need? I have the OBDII scan tool for my laptop from http://www.obd-2.com . It has allowed me to reset codes in my Dakota a couple of times and the Olds on one occasion. I can also get ahold of a Snap On scan tool from my uncle.

oiler

yep that one should work just so long as the can read the codes that are stored in the body computer
I'm betting that you come up with a B2960
Just by chance do you have a command start in the van?
Forgot to ask before
Jeff