I always get the wierd ones.

Started by Jokester, November 04, 2006, 12:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jokester

I'm trying to install my Cal Custom valve covers on my 327 and there's some interference.  I'm using an Offenhauser crossram which was pretty tight against my tin covers.  But these aluminum ones won't go on on the passenger side.  No matter how I maneuver it, it won't go on.  I determined that it was interfering with the tips of the rocker arms.  Strangely enough, when I removed the third rocker arm from the front, the cover dropped right on.  Now I'm guessing that one of the studs is mis-aligned (the're the OE press in kind).  

Does anyone know if I can gain any clearance by using roller rockers.  The problem is the inboard end, the end the pushrod goes into.  It looks like I only need maybe .100" at the most, maybe not even that much.  I didn't really want to try to bend the stud.  

BTW, the other side fits fine.

Any ideas?

thx,

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

EMSjunkie

is it hitting on an oil baffle?

I would think roller rockers would be even thicker :?

but I'm usually wrong :(

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Jokester

Not hitting on a baffle, these are old Cal Custom covers with no holes.  I checked the studs today, and they are all in alignment.  I finally got the covers on by grinding a bit of the rocker arm away.  It's not a race car, so I hope I didn't weaken the rocker enough to matter.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

purplepickup

Would a cover spacer have helped?   There's some on ebay.  Or a taller cover?
George

Godzilla

I ran a crossram many years ago and had a similar problem.  I finally got a set of Moroso tall chromes to go on.  I was running roller rockers too.  The first time I pulled the intake...put the covers on then put the intake on.   Had to make special wrench to tighten the bolts since they were back under there.  What a hassel...then I found out I could pull them off.  Glad you found the answer.....Ron.
The way it was is the way it should be