UPDATE : Crosley broken crank shaft

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, October 22, 2006, 10:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

i am learning the metals on these cranks.

cast iron ( my broken unit)

cast steel

forged steel.

I did not know there was a cast steel crank.  Generators with a Crosley motor usually have a forged steel crank.

As ol Joe has mentioned the Crosley motor continued on after the car company was closed & sold.

"Big block" Crosleys were build in displacements up to 59 cid.... LOL  Same block , the bore and stroke was opened up.  They were labeled with different names... Elgin , PHageol ( with an "F")  come to mind.

I know most of the folks here do not give a rats patootee about this.  

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

jaybee

Actually I'm interested in any of the old commercial engines, many of which were used in cars of one kind or another.

When you build a new one maybe you can get one of those big blocks and top it with a big 1/71 blower!
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

WZ JUNK

I know most of the folks here do not give a rats patootee about this.  

Actually I am interested.  Not that I plan to act on any of this information but I find it interesting.  Sorry you are having some bad luck.  

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

GPster

Went to a metal re-cycler today that ends up with a lot of this odd ball stuff and it turns out that he had two of the boat motors and sold them recently. He pointed me to someone else and this guy said his mother sold a car and all of the spare parts and engines his father had collected while he was living. They all went to a local fellow that is somewhat inconsiquious (because of IRS?) but I have an inquiry out. GPster

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I know most of the folks here do not give a rats patootee about this.  

Actually I am interested.  Not that I plan to act on any of this information but I find it interesting.  Sorry you are having some bad luck.  

John

Same here.  I like seeing something different, although I wish it wasn't something that is self-destucting.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

I have found crank shafts...... it is the * main bearings I need.... and when found they will be expen$ive.

So do i build a motor or call it quits , move on.

Playing golf would easier , take up less space in the shop .  

Problem is: I hate golf
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

sooo, why are you building golf carts? :wink:

btw, i like seeing the oddball stuff...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

GPster

This may be (probably) a backwards way of doing things but why don't you put the empty block back together with just the bearing caps with your bearings in them. Because what you have is undersized .010" and .020" you might be able to have a standard crank re-ground to fit the worn undersized bearings.              OR            If the front pulley on your broken crank is held on with a bolt that is threaded into the end of the crank stub take the stub and have it threaded clear through to the break and then take your crank out and have it drilled to the I.D. of that thread. Using the crank stub that is threaded clear through clamp it to the end of the broken crank with it indexed correctly and use the stub to start threads into the end of the crank properly timed. Now have that threaded hole cut for a key clear through and make a threaded rodfor the thread the length that you would need to hold the 2 halves of the crank together and hold the key in place. You could make the threaded rod long enough to hold the pulley on the crank with a nut rather than a bolt. Sometimes my ideas go no place but I have them anyway. GPster

imwalkin

Pm sent to you Crosley. I have some Crosley friends here in Tucson.