Breathing air

Started by jaybee, October 19, 2006, 04:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

This is a bit of an offshoot from 48builder's thread on wall-mounted tool oilers, but to me it seemed like a hijack so I decided to start a new thread.  I once had a job that included some sandblasting.  To do this we had a hood that was supplied with shop air.  could something like this http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200327071_200327071?cm_sp=Customer%20driven-_-Recently%20Viewed-_-Search%20Page be used to paint?  The compressor would of course have to be located safely outside the paint booth.  I'm sensitive to the danger of breathing toxic fumes, but a professional forced air respirator is pretty pricey.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

phat46

I too wore one of those to sandblast at work. It was required by OSHA to prevent breathing silica. I would think that if it was o.k. to  use for that, that it would be o.k. for paint too. It maintains a positve pressure inside the hood that should prevent paint fumes from entering. We were required by OSHA to have an air "scrubber" on the airline that supplied the hood. The scrubber had to be maintained and checked with a kit to determine that the air was safe to breathe. It got to be such a hassle to do the tests and documentation for OSHA that we did away with the booth and now only have a little cabinet blaster, so much for blasting hoods and fenders and such....

1FATGMC

Quote from: "jaybee"This is a bit of an offshoot from 48builder's thread on wall-mounted tool oilers, but to me it seemed like a hijack so I decided to start a new thread.  I once had a job that included some sandblasting.  To do this we had a hood that was supplied with shop air.  could something like this http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200327071_200327071?cm_sp=Customer%20driven-_-Recently%20Viewed-_-Search%20Page be used to paint?  The compressor would of course have to be located safely outside the paint booth.  I'm sensitive to the danger of breathing toxic fumes, but a professional forced air respirator is pretty pricey.

I think the compressor they are talking about is not a shop compressor, but a compressor that is safe for breathing the air.  In other words the same pricey compressor you need for supplied air.

I got a Hobby Air supplied air system a few years ago that can handle two masks for under $500 with lots of hose.  That is really cheap compared to Dr. bills and even the costs of a funeral.  Paint is just too toxic now in my opinion to be painting without this type of protection.

A charcoal mask can maybe get you by with lots of air circulation, but the canisters are shot right away and they aren't cheap.

c ya,

Sum

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "jaybee"This is a bit of an offshoot from 48builder's thread on wall-mounted tool oilers, but to me it seemed like a hijack so I decided to start a new thread.  I once had a job that included some sandblasting.  To do this we had a hood that was supplied with shop air.  could something like this http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200327071_200327071?cm_sp=Customer%20driven-_-Recently%20Viewed-_-Search%20Page be used to paint?  The compressor would of course have to be located safely outside the paint booth.  I'm sensitive to the danger of breathing toxic fumes, but a professional forced air respirator is pretty pricey.

I thought about making my own fresh air system.  I want to use an air pump (smog pump) as they are not lubricated on the air pump side, and run it with a small electric motor.  I thought I located a fresh air system mask for free but I do not have it yet.  I really do not paint much anymore so who knows if I will ever build it.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH