Broken tranny parts is fun.

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, October 24, 2006, 09:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

so I built a drag race C-4....... testing today on the dyno  it blew up internally.  No parts came out the case

lots of noise

Pump let go too.  I have no photos of it..... tweaked the torque converter hub too. Instead of round the converter drive hub was sorta egg shapped. LOL

:arrow:   :lol:  :lol:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

donsrods

This isn't your week.  Don't take any trips in an airplane. :shock:  :shock:

Don

58 Yeoman

Let's not be taking out any crankshaft frustrations on the auto's, Tony. :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Carnut

Tony,

Did you happen to see that episode of the Monster garage guy or whatever show he's on where his project was to go to Irag and build a wheelstanding HUMMVEE?

Had help from the guys in the motorpool to tear into the HUMMVEE and install a blown Big Block amidships and a built powerglide to handle it.

Seems in the process of installing the trans something wasn't lined up right and they broke some kind of ring gear in the trans. The dummy tried to weld up the broken in 3 pieces gear and then had a 700R4 pulled to see if a part interchange could be made, No Go.

Fella disappointed all the troops and left town.

Always wondered what his other options might have been.

First wondered why he didn't just go ahead and use a 700r4 and do the best he could running it.

Also wondered why local Iragi salvages weren't contacted, seems to be a lot of GM rolling stock on the TV shots from that area, bet there was a powerglide in a junk yard or even a tranny shop around there that could have been commandered.

Did you have any thoughts on that show?

Leon

I think they put the torque converter in dry and when they fired it up everything was running dry.  Always put a quart or two of tranny fluid in the converter before bolting it up!

Crosley.In.AZ

here is what I saw & thought.

the PG converter was not installed fully when the tranny was bolted to the engine. The converter hub broke the gears in the pump.

Jessie welded the gears together in the pump on the converter hub.... PURE disaster, wrong ,wrong , wrong way to do it.   The converter hub does NOT install all the way through the gears as Jessie positioned the pieces together.

Clearance on the pump gears should be set at .0015.  So obviously the pump was doomed when Jessie started welding on the broken pieces.

A PG pump gears are different from all others IE t-350 & t-400 , t-700.  700 pump has a rotor with vanes for pump design.

t-350 & t-400 gears are same design , different widths from an OE  power glide pump.

next;

since the tranny was a B&M unit.... I am sure it was dyno tested before shipment to Iraq.

Installing fluid or NOT in the converter had nothing to do with the pump's broken gears. It was a mis-install of the converter in my opinion.

the group was beating up the one GI guy for not adding fluid to the converter, that is pure BS.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)