Speaking Of Glue..CV boot

Started by Arnold, October 16, 2006, 05:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

I had a leaking CV joint boot.The joint was fine..not much grease lost.I just got this one.I couldn't get a consensus as to whether any 2 piece boots would work. I was a hair away from pulling the shaft and doing it right..

I asked/phoned around..1 guy said he uses Weatherstrip Adhesive..3m.yelow snot to fix boots.I tried it.Complete waste of time.I even cleaned it again with a bit of lacquer thinner.No way.Closer HAHA to pulling the shaft

I wanted to guess at some silicone.Mas as well try that too.FIRST time ever I have got a bad cartridge tube of silicone.Stuff would not harden properly.I was so..P..that the silicone didn't harden..plus the mess to clean up that I went and plonked down too much money for silicone.The Permatex stuff..Yikes..I think it is $13/$15 a tube or something.Ya wanna make sure what you get this stuff on! This stuff is like liquid rubber..and is it ever strong.

I checked this thing so carefully so many  times..and frequentlly.Everyone said this would not last 5 minutes.
Through the winter and salt.A zillion miles..1 1/2 yrs.I was gonna re-do it anyway.Ya I don think so.Ya ain't getting any of this silicone off the CV boot that is for sure.

I dunno?? I wonder if the lacquer thinner ate into the rubber a bit and gave the silicone a real good bite as it cured? Maybe.Heading into winter #2 and this job still looks like the day I did it.

Dave

Quote from: "Arnold"I had a leaking CV joint boot.The joint was fine..not much grease lost.I just got this one.I couldn't get a consensus as to whether any 2 piece boots would work. I was a hair away from pulling the shaft and doing it right..

I asked/phoned around..1 guy said he uses Weatherstrip Adhesive..3m.yelow snot to fix boots.I tried it.Complete waste of time.I even cleaned it again with a bit of lacquer thinner.No way.Closer HAHA to pulling the shaft

I wanted to guess at some silicone.Mas as well try that too.FIRST time ever I have got a bad cartridge tube of silicone.Stuff would not harden properly.I was so..P..that the silicone didn't harden..plus the mess to clean up that I went and plonked down too much money for silicone.The Permatex stuff..Yikes..I think it is $13/$15 a tube or something.Ya wanna make sure what you get this stuff on! This stuff is like liquid rubber..and is it ever strong.

I checked this thing so carefully so many  times..and frequentlly.Everyone said this would not last 5 minutes.
Through the winter and salt.A zillion miles..1 1/2 yrs.I was gonna re-do it anyway.Ya I don think so.Ya ain't getting any of this silicone off the CV boot that is for sure.

I dunno?? I wonder if the lacquer thinner ate into the rubber a bit and gave the silicone a real good bite as it cured? Maybe.Heading into winter #2 and this job still looks like the day I did it.

Back when I did a lot of body work and painting  I used to use silicone to hold emblems and trim on the cars I painted. Little silicone hold it on with some masking tape and good to go in the morning. You must have got it good and clean with the laquer thinner. Thats what it takes. Your lucky day when you did it. I used it once to fix a tear in a tonneau cover and i sold the truck with same tonneau still fixed with the same silicone.
Dave