Late model truck , new windshield.

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, October 14, 2006, 12:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I mentioned months ago my new 2006 GM truck windshield cracked when hit by a stone.

When getting quotes on auto insurance coverage  I was dinged extra $$ by a record of former windshield replacement claims.  I have full glass coverage on the truck  

So, this time I paid out of my pocket for a new windshield.  It cost me $110.00 installed.

I am still not convinced I did the correct thing here.  :?  :?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

purplepickup

I had a windshield replaced in my van a while back and checked prices with and without insurance.  It was about what you paid when I told them I didn't have insurance but close to $400 when I said I did have insurance.  Since I have a $100 deductible on comp I just bought it out of my pocket.  

Even tho I have insurance for these things I don't turn in claims for small things.  Insurance companies count claims and I think your rates are adjusted accordingly.  I have high deductibles and my rates are a little lower.
George

58 Yeoman

I would've thought that it would cost a lot more.  I had a door window replaced on my chevy truck once, and after the guy got it replaced (took him about 3 hours), he said that it needed to be replaced again, as it had scratches in it.  He showed me where they were supposed to be, but I couldn't see them.  I called the glass co. and told them that if they paid the deductible, I would keep the glass.  They agreed.

My sister told me the other day that one insurance co wanted to deny her renewal, because she had so many claims.  One hail damage claim, one when she hit a deer, and numerous 'locked my keys in the car' claims.  Don't know why she didn't just have extra keys made and hide them on the car.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

well, as you guys all know : "ya gotta pay".

So do we pay the insurance company or pay for the glass?

2 years ago I learned of this national tracking deal on claims when I applied for insurance "quote"  with a different company.  The agent tells me I have glass replacement claims back to 1999 on my Ford F-150.  

The problem was: "  the truck was a 2001 AND I had never had a windshield replaced in the truck" ....... only chip repairs that the insurance paid in full , nothing paid by me.  I then learned the these chip repair guys at the car wash places were really sticking it to the insurance company.  I would suggest NOT using the chip repair guys at the car washes.

The chip repairs were listed as a full replacement on this report , there was no listing difference from chip to fullglass replacement. A claim is a claim I guess

I am thinking the next time I will have the Insurance company pay for the glass.

The glass shop I used was on a TV local channel. You know the reporters that investagate problems or look for cheap deals on services & goods
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)