Need Help with my Rear End

Started by Fat Fanny, October 12, 2006, 10:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fat Fanny

My 1951 Chevy 3/4 ton is almost stripped to the frame. All that is left is the front end and rear end. As soon as that is done I will haul it (the frame and sheetmetal) to the blaster. I will be installing a IFS and 350 sb. I would like to find a 9 inch Ford rear end but may have to settle for something else.
Problem: Because they are so heavy duty I would like to keep the rear springs. Is this the best way to go? Will I be able to use them with a different rear end?

Leon

As long as they're in good shape I don't see why you couldn't reuse them.

Dave

looking at your nick and the topic of this post i was gonna suggest jenny craig might be able to help you.. then i read the post :lol:  8)  :)  :D
:!:  :arrow: dave

phat46

My brother and i did a late 40's Chevy truck for a friend. We put a late model ( mid 90's?) Ranger rear in it, supposed to be plenty strong. We put it on top of the springs and it sits really nice; just had to move the spring pads and make a couple shock mounts on the truck, took all of four hours. Drive shaft was even the right length, just needed a different U joint!

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Fat *"My 1951 Chevy 3/4 ton is almost stripped to the frame. All that is left is the front end and rear end. As soon as that is done I will haul it (the frame and sheetmetal) to the blaster. I will be installing a IFS and 350 sb. I would like to find a 9 inch Ford rear end but may have to settle for something else.
Problem: Because they are so heavy duty I would like to keep the rear springs. Is this the best way to go? Will I be able to use them with a different rear end?

Personally unless you still want to haul heavy loads and want it to ride like a truck I wouldn't keep the old springs.  

In fact I would put new springs on just for the safety.  When I built mine I used the rear springs out of the Camaro I stripped for the sub-frame and they worked fine until I was in Missouri once and found out I had 3 broken leaves.  I bought new Camaro springs (the heavy duty option) from J.C. Whitney and like them a lot.  There are construction pictures on my site ( HERE   ) showing how I mounted them.

In my view springs aren't that expensive to not buy new ones for a new project (don't forget that they will settle front and back).

Good luck with your project,

Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

I used springs and rear diff from a 78 Camaro in a 1948 Chevy 3/4 truck chassis.

The 3/4 ton chassis is different from the 1/2 chassis in the back of the frame.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)