Upholstery glue..

Started by Arnold, October 15, 2006, 05:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

Cloth..sort of that tough,twist type of material.

My dog..EXUBERANT! 80 lbs of lab +30lbs  of Border Collie+ 0 fat=110lbs of 100% hyper dog.I thought my W30's came on the cam.NOPE.Not like this dog! LOVES! to jump into the car..and around..over the seats when he is alone for a split second.
 The back seat..on the seat part..a few spots the seams are pulling apart where they were sewn.I can't believe they lasted this long! After about a zillion hard landings.

What kind of glue would be best for this?

Thanks..

Leon

Glue doesn't work when it's the seam pulling apart.  If it is the stitching not the fabric that is pulling apart, it can be resewn.

purplepickup

I made a board cover for the bottom of the back seat of my Buick out of OSB board and 2x4's.  I stapled some carpet on it and Murf is happy as a kid in a mud puddle.  I also cut a piece of carpet to fit over the back of the seat.  He isn't as rambunctious as your dogs but he sheds and gets muddy and it keeps the seat in good shape.
George

donsrods

Leon is right, no glue I have ever found will keep the seam from retearing.  I work at a marina, and we get this request all the time and have tried even glues that say they are for this purpose. None hold, and worse yet, they turn yellow.

It needs to be resewn to hold unfortunately.

Don

rumrumm

It is not that big of a deal for an upholsterer to take the covering off your seat and re-stitch the seam. Sometimes they can add some additonal material underneath to strengthen the seam so it will not happen again.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Arnold

Quote from: "purplepickup"I made a board cover for the bottom of the back seat of my Buick out of OSB board and 2x4's.  I stapled some carpet on it and Murf is happy as a kid in a mud puddle.  I also cut a piece of carpet to fit over the back of the seat.  He isn't as rambunctious as your dogs but he sheds and gets muddy and it keeps the seat in good shape.

Thanks guys!..

You're funny George! Whaddaya got ESP? Steal MY idea.I TOO made a board cover for the bottom of the back seat with OSB board and 2X4!!for my   wagon and fold the back seats down.The  board goes right to the back.I did this cause it is such a great idea for hauling stuff..putting my skis there..etc.,and oh yeah..in case I have to sleep in the * thing with my cold weather sleeping bag.Yes it has happened.Bad roads.

NO dog is as rambunctious as my dog.American Lab(taller and longer than the typical "British" Lab..but not as heavy set..)HAHA that is why he has the Border Collie in him.Mental case of a dog.I tried that but not only is my dog big and very tall..as it is now..he has to have his head out the back window AND have his front feet on the armrest.Too funny!.With the board he is simply too high out the window HAHA.I have to wind the window down too far. He needs to sink down a bit in the seat.

Respectfully..the seat is a very generic color in a very,very popular car..probablly be cheaper to get a seat in the bone than sew this one.I will check out the sewing cost..Thanks again guys.