Glued in windshield ?

Started by unklian, October 12, 2006, 12:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unklian

To glue in a windshield,like the late models,
and the high tech streetrod guys do,
how wide does the lip need to be all the way around ?

And how much smaller should the glass be ?

Thanks.

Ian

Charlie Chops 1940

When I did my '40 Chevy I made the lip 1/2" wide. I don't remember what the gap for the glass to body was, but you have to leave just enough to push the trim strip into. Most glass shops have a few version to choose from.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Dave

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"When I did my '40 Chevy I made the lip 1/2" wide. I don't remember what the gap for the glass to body was, but you have to leave just enough to push the trim strip into. Most glass shops have a few version to choose from.

Charlie
I think the gap is like 1/8 to 3/16 to push the trim in. do a search on the net and im sure you will find the info. The windshield setting tape comes in different diamters. i used two different diamaters one over the other for my 32 coupe to get the glass flush with the body. On my 34 I was able to add a spacer made of 1/2 square acrylic bent with a heat gun and screwed in to get the windshield flush with one run of setting tape.
Dave :!:  :arrow: