Plastic air lines…. Don’t

Started by Ohio Blue Tip, October 01, 2006, 10:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bib_Overalls

Heat reduces the PSI rating of PVC pipe.  And UV exposure will degrade white PVC pipe over time.  If you are going to use PVC use Schedule 80 with glued joints (Threaded Schedule 80 joints are actually rated lower than glued Schedule 40 for most sizes).  And use black iron for any lengths exposed to direct sunlight or within 20 feet of the compressor.  And finally, open your valve slowly when pressurizing PVC lines.  Dumping a lot of pressure into your lines all at once can blow out the glued joints or worse.  Don't ask me how I know this.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Carnut

Appears the point is that when PVC fails it shatters and folks consider that an unacceptable danger. Guess it's just a concern since for all practical purposes black iron pipe dosen't fail and any type of possible failure is considered unacceptable.

Around here 3/4 PVC lines are not uncommon.

Wonder how this reasoning applies to coiled plastic lines that I use for mobility to tools?

For that matter pressure wise I've had several rubber air hoses fail thru the years, guess the method of rubber hose failure is just considered safe.

Leon

Quote from: "Carnut"Wonder how this reasoning applies to coiled plastic lines that I use for mobility to tools?
I've had one of those fail and it blew a small bubble type of weak spot then popped open.  Made a noise, but nothing went flying.

Dave

Quote from: "Carnut"Appears the point is that when PVC fails it shatters and folks consider that an unacceptable danger. Guess it's just a concern since for all practical purposes black iron pipe dosen't fail and any type of possible failure is considered unacceptable.

Around here 3/4 PVC lines are not uncommon.

Wonder how this reasoning applies to coiled plastic lines that I use for mobility to tools?

For that matter pressure wise I've had several rubber air hoses fail thru the years, guess the method of rubber hose failure is just considered safe.

The coiled plastic and rubber lines will and can fail too. You guys do what you want and im not gonna tell you what to do but is it that non cost effective to use pvc rather than black pipe :?:  In the interest of safety I think not. Remember if your old like me your grand kids could be in the shop when something goes wrong. Its not me i really worry about anymore . :!:  :arrow:
Dave :wink:

Ohio Blue Tip

What Dave said!  Get that plastic out of your shop!
In my friend's shop several people could have bee killed if they were in the shop when the line gave up.
WHY TAKE THE CHANCE?  SPEND THE MONEY LIKE IT WAS A NEW PIECE OF CHROME FOR YOUR LATEST PROJECT.

KEN SAYS SO.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

I have plumbed several air systems for both commercial and hobby use.Steam line copper is the way to go.We always use a stainless steel flex connector from the compressor to the rigid system.Copper is a bit more expensive than black pipe but is much easier to work with...unless of course you have an industrial threader.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

jaybee

I also like the fact that copper is easier to deal with if you later decide to make changes in the middle of a run.  Of course that's true of plastic as well, but I've heard too many stories about problems with plastic.  In addition to exploding shrapnel there's a story on the Project 33 web site of a garage being burned down when a welding or grinding spark melted through a plastic air line.  Air coming out of the hole fanned the flames and caused something that might not have been a problem to consume the whole garage in a matter of minutes.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

papastoyss

We've had 3/4  schedule 40 air lines in our repair shop for 20 yrs w/no problems. Our compressor kicks on at 150 /off at 175.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

Rrumbler

Here are a couple of rhetorical questions I posted on another site, regarding this subject.  They do not require answers, but are fodder for mulling over in your spare time.

What price are you willing to put on the safety and well being of yourself and others??

Is the value of ease of installation greater than that of durability and safety??

PVC is inexpensive and easy to work with.  Copper is expensive, and somewhat easy to work with, if you are adept at sweating joints.  Black iron is about half the cost of copper, and requires a fair amount of technique to get it all together the way you want it.  It seems to be about choices.  Oh; there are some alternative systems out there, but they are likely as expensive, if not more so, than copper; some are ABS compounds, some are aluminum - all are well engineered, and tested and approved for industrial use.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

Crosley.In.AZ

Mayb when I get old and retire I will fit copper to my shop.  I was in the pipe fitters union in 1973 & 74.  Possibly can still sweat a few pieces together.

:?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)