Silicon mold making.........School me please.

Started by slocrow, September 20, 2006, 04:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slocrow

Some time ago, NZSimon mentioned that he made silicon molds for the production of some taillight buckets.
What type of silicon should be used and what would be the procedure to make a reproduction of the recesses in the trunk lid skin and back side for the buckets, assuming I can find a donor trunk lid from which to make a mold......Thanks, Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Dave

Quote from: "slocrow"Some time ago, NZSimon mentioned that he made silicon molds for the production of some taillight buckets.
What type of silicon should be used and what would be the procedure to make a reproduction of the recesses in the trunk lid skin and back side for the buckets, assuming I can find a donor trunk lid from which to make a mold......Thanks, Frank

You thinnin bout makin sum new lights fer the lil woman :?:  I was tol thats what that silicon stuff is used fer???
That and sumpin bout a valley and pukers but they sure look nice the other way 8)  :lol:  8)  :lol:
Dave

slocrow

Thanks for the site Bob. I'm told Street Rod Builder, American Rodder or the like, had a how too artical a while back. Anybody got a clue?  Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Dave

Quote from: "slocrow"Thanks for the site Bob. I'm told Street Rod Builder, American Rodder or the like, had a how too artical a while back. Anybody got a clue?  Frank

I thin i premember that artikle .. Ill try and look thru my stuff this weekend for ya.
Dave

nzsimon

The smooth on website already has most of what you need to know

if the part doesn't have any overhangs or is a simple shape you can use plaster of paris or even body filler or spray foam gapfiller you can buy at any dept store hardware dept

if you do use silicon make sure you apply a thin coat first with a brush or similar so as to avoid surface bubbles

most of the setup time depends on wether you want to use it more than once
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true