Intro.,History and question

Started by tom-3, September 10, 2006, 06:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom-3

Hi:  My name is Dale and I was here a few yrs. ago and got much help from all.  I have a 30 ford coupe that I restored. I then started modifying and now the people on the model A forums do not care to talk with me.
I modified it the way I wanted it and love it. Some of you may remember me. I put a mercruiser marine engine in it,along with hyd. brakes,56 ford 150 stearing box, Halogen lights and 16" wides.
   Due to muscle tissue disease I have lost both rotator cuff's and am having trouble stearing the car.  I need to find out how to put power stearing on it without tearing every thing up.
    Any body have any idea's.            Thanks  Dale :roll:

zzebby

You're gonna tear it up, just no way around it.  How much ??
What about just a larger dia steering wheel??
Or an early sixties  Ford car with the slave and sensor.  They were leaky, but could be adapted to the F100 pitman.
Or a late 70's to early 80's Toyota pickup.  They look similar to the F100 but I don't recall if it was a power  box or not.  Someone else will chime in with that info.
Your profile does not say where you are. May be a rodder in the area who will help out.   It happens.

enjenjo

An 80 to 87 Toyota 4x4 power steering box can be fitted where a F100 box is installed. It will not be a direct bolt in.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bib_Overalls

Good to see you back.  Hope those brakes I sent you are equal to your lead foot!!

Several years go I took some under the fender pictures of a power steering installation on a 34 Ford sedan with traditional drag steering.  I don't have any information about the donor parts that were used.  But the owner was quite satisfied as I recall.  Perhaps someone here can fill in the blanks,
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

sirstude

1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

tom-3

Quote from: Bib_OverallsGood to see you back.  Hope those brakes I sent you are equal to your lead foot!!

Several years go I took some under the fender pictures of a power steering installation on a 34 Ford sedan with traditional drag steering.  

Hi: your brakes work fine, Thanks  I also put on cast drums and double 7" boosters . She will stand on her nose now.     The system you show with you pics. is precisely what I was looking for.
     Does any one know the type of car this system is on?      Pump is no big deal, but where to find that type of cylinder is.  ie  make and yr of cars that use it.
I can no longer work under the car but my Son is a half a-s mechanic and will do it with my instructions.    

Thanks a bunch,you guys are great     Dale

PS   If any body wants to email me directly, please do so.

48ford

Looks like a ford system,it is off a granada,Monarch, or 60s mustang,60s fairlane.That should get you heading in the direction you want to go.
It's not just the cylinder ,you need the valve too.
Russ

GPster

If anyone has come up with a way for a rack and pinion to be mounted to a solid axel and  have a flex joint to a  solid mounted steering column, here would be a place to use it. If you could use a  rear steer rack with the tie rods fastened to the center (Cavaleer ?) mount it to your axel or wishbones and split your tie rod and make it two from the rack to the spindles. Because your A was restored you probably used the A spindles with hydralic brakes than later spindles so your stuck with a drag link rather than being able to cross-steer. Maybe if you're using a A box a later box would be easy enough and you wouldn't need power. GPster

donsrods

Dale:  I guess you haven't heard. Since the last time you were here, this forum has become a Model A restorers only site, and we are really PO'd that you would tear up such a fine automobile. :lol:  :wink:  :wink:  :lol:  :lol:

Ok, we aren't.  Welcome back. I think that power steering setup in the pictures is from some pickup truck, if memory serves me right. I know I have seen it, but just can't put my finger on where. It might also be from some of the earlier cars that were just coming out with power steering, and acted as an assist to the manual box.  Someone on here will probably recognize it for you. It looks like one option, at least.

Good luck,

Don

enjenjo

I have just gotten possession of a F100 power steering unit, looks like what you want. It will be a couple weeks before I get it out, but we can make some kind of deal.

tom-3

That would be great engenjo.    Please let me know when you get it out.
 Thank you    Dale
                            taff1@charter.net

enjenjo

Quote from: "tom-3"That would be great engenjo.    Please let me know when you get it out.
 Thank you    Dale
                            taff1@charter.net

ok

enjenjo