2 prong vrs 3 prong signal flasher

Started by Ed ke6bnl, April 02, 2004, 10:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed ke6bnl

Hi, I have a two prong flasher that I temporarily hooked up to flash a 12 volt bulb works ok.  The old style add on signal system  I just got shows a flasher with 3 terminals +, L, P, Maybe someone can explain the differance and what the extra terminal is for ??.  + is the hot lead and what is the L and P as compared to the two prong flasher.  Thanks for your help Ed ke6bl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

enjenjo

The L terminal is for the Load, this goes to the turn signal switch. The P terminal, or Pilot is for the indicator light, if you switch is so equiped. Most newer switches used a tap off the front turn signal wires to run two indicators, left and right. The older systems used one indicator for both, powered by the P terminal on the flasher. Some of the old switches had the light built in, either in the handle, or the body of the switch.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "enjenjo"The L terminal is for the Load, this goes to the turn signal switch. The P terminal, or Pilot is for the indicator light, if you switch is so equiped. Most newer switches used a tap off the front turn signal wires to run two indicators, left and right. The older systems used one indicator for both, powered by the P terminal on the flasher. Some of the old switches had the light built in, either in the handle, or the body of the switch.

Thanks enjenjo, that is exactly what I needed to know this is a reproduction of an older turn signal unit and it seems to have the flasher in the handle that will use  by the p terminal.  At least I will be able to wire it up today and when I get to town will purchase a three terminal one that will fire the light in the signal arm.  Great site and thanks for all the help as always Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1968 Mustang Coupe

Skip

One of the problems I have run into lately si that the opld standby, the 550 flasher, no longer works properly, regardless of whose name is on the box.

the pilot light comes on as soon as power is applied and blinks only when the signals are activated.

I've switched over to electronic (heavy duty truck application) units.

Don't have the part number handy but I can get them at my local NAPA store any time I need one as our town DPW uses them all the time so they're always in stock.
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "Skip"One of the problems I have run into lately si that the opld standby, the 550 flasher, no longer works properly, regardless of whose name is on the box.

the pilot light comes on as soon as power is applied and blinks only when the signals are activated.

I've switched over to electronic (heavy duty truck application) units.

Don't have the part number handy but I can get them at my local NAPA store any time I need one as our town DPW uses them all the time so they're always in stock.

That is exactly what I did, all the flashers with the pilot were in previously open packages and looked used, so I went with an electronic one that will fire even if you were to loose two bulbs, I figure I then can go with LED later with out spending any more money and so far is working great.  Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1968 Mustang Coupe