Enjenjo....phone for you...please. Or anybody...

Started by slocrow, April 16, 2004, 10:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slocrow

Frank; This fan thing has turned ugly but I'm getting an education. Apparently I've got two problems as I now understand it. Remember NO fans are coming on without being forced and I made some incorrect presumptions.
The aux fan hasn't worked in a while, I'm guessing. Probably a blown fuseable link (no pwr @ relay) and as stated, it squawk's when starting up.
Probably the bearing. I read that the aux is just that and doesn't come on until after the primary and at a higher temp.
The primary is for initial cooling and A/C running.
My realization of the problem started when the primary shut down. I've got that down to two reasons. Either the elusive temp sensor or the ECM. I'm hoping not the ECM.
I guess checking the temp sensor again is about to happen. What bothers me is that I jumped the temp sensor connector, which tells the ECM that the temp is hot (I think) and nothing happened. If I did this correctly (always questionable) then this failure of the primary to come on implies a ECM problem.

I guess my question is, do you think I can jump the temp sensor connector with a paper clip successfully, in order to fool the ECM that the car is hot, with the ignition in the run position? I tried this initially and nothing happened so I'm suspect of my method and procedure.

It never ends............Thanks, Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

enjenjo

I don't think that will do it Frank. The modern sensors are much more sophisicated than they were in the past. That sensor not only controls the fan, it controls fuel delivery, shift points, and injector pulse width, by telling the computer what the engine temerature is. There will be no direct connection between the temp sensor and the relay. the computer actually controls the relay.

You aren't going to like this, but you need to take it to someone with the proper diagnostic tools. A scan tool can run the fan circuits through their paces, and pin point the problem. In some cases adjustment is even possible with the scan tool. I don't use a dealer, but the better independent shops have them too, and are more than willing to help you out.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

slocrow

Thanks Frank. But in the mean time here's what I did; I fired it up and let it warm. When the gauge moved up so so I pulled the connector on the sensor. Sure enough the primary fan came on seconds later as the ECM was fooled and switched on the fan as a precautionary measure. That said, I assumed the ECM was OK which only left the temp sensor. $25 Dollars later I'm home from the dealer and about to install. You'll know tomorrow based on my ride what happened.
Thanks for your's and everybody's help..........Frank

purplepickup

Quote from: "slocrow"do you think I can jump  with a paper clip successfully? I tried this initially and nothing happened so I'm suspect of my method and procedure.

It never ends............Thanks, Frank

Hey there Vette boy before you get real fancy with that paper clip you need to know whether or not your car is negative or positive ground.  

If it's negative ground put one end of the paper clip in the end of a spark plug wire and hang on to it while you have someone start your car.  Make sure you're holding on to the spark plug when you do this or the car won't run smoothly.  That should straighten things out.  

If the system is a positive ground, your Vette might really be a '67 MGB.  To find out for sure you're going to have to take it to someone smarter than you because they'll have to compare the VIN on the vehicle to the VIN on the title....a procedure that is way too complex to go into here.

Hope this helps,
Truck boy

P.S.  See ya tomorrow.  There's a lot of money to be made if we play our cards right. 8)
George

Ohio Blue Tip

P.S.  See ya tomorrow.  There's a lot of money to be made if we play our cards right. 8)[/quote]

I'm going to bring a lot of money and I'm betting neither one of you can go 3 rounds.  :twisted:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

slocrow

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"P.S.  See ya tomorrow.  There's a lot of money to be made if we play our cards right. 8)

I'm going to bring a lot of money and I'm betting neither one of you can go 3 rounds.  :twisted:[/quote]

Only if you buy the first one, Southpark boy............. :lol:
Oh yeah...thanks George, I'll try that now. Will the wet floor from the intake spill be OK to be standing in........ :twisted:

Charlie Chops 1940

It's probablya good that Sharon Shops doesn't read this foolishness or she wouldn't let me come and play tomorrow. If Vette Boy drives that leaky thing we can just use him to start the BBQ.

You know George, you really let the cat out of the bath on the positive/negative thing - there are just some tips ya shopuldn't pass along - especially for free.

Charlie Chops
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

purplepickup

Quote from: "slocrow"...thanks George, I'll try that now. Will the wet floor from the intake spill be OK to be standing in........ :twisted:

Yes, actually that would be better.  Make sure you have someone take pictures because your survivors will probably want to nominate you for the 2004 Darwin awards and good clear pictures really help.  Good luck.
George