ZZ4 motor alternator mount

Started by WZ JUNK, September 13, 2006, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

We are using a ZZ4 motor in the 32 roadster that we are currently assembling in the shop.  I have an alternator mount that is suppose to locate the alternator on the lower left side of the engine.  The mount will not work as designed.  It hits the frame rail and steering mount.  I have looked at some of the other mounts available but they are pricy and the usually have the alternator hanging out on the side of one head or another.  Ideally I would like to have the alternator above the intake just inside the left valve cover.  Has anyone got a suggestion?   I am already designing my own mount but I would just as soon buy one or adapt something.   I will not pay the $400 that Street and Performance is asking for theirs.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Charlie Chops 1940

Model A's thru 34's are almost impossible to put  low on the left side, especially with cross steering. I have a short pump on my ZZ4 and use an Alan Grove  mount that places the alternator on the upper left. Bill's has a similar mount.

Best I can offer.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

rumrumm

Call Bill's Hot Rods in Covina, CA--(626-332-1915)--he advertises in the back of all the major magazines. His are chrome plated steel, and they are works of art. He does not have a website at the present time.  I have his alternator and A/C mounts in my coupe and they are the best I've seen.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "enjenjo"Another vote for Bill's

It is looking like I am going to machine an adapter to use the mount that originally went low on the left side and move it up to between the water neck and the left head.   How much contact area does the V belt need on the water pump pulley to avoid belt slippage and noise?

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

enjenjo

At least one third. If you are running an AC compressor too, you can add that in to get one third. One half is better.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Uncle Bob

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Model A's thru 34's are almost impossible to put  low on the left side, especially with cross steering. I have a short pump on my ZZ4 and use an Alan Grove  mount that places the alternator on the upper left. Bill's has a similar mount.

Best I can offer.

Charlie

Almost being the operative word. :D   This is on a '33.

Probably won't work with John's cost criteria because it would entail buying a different alt, but I throw it out for benefit of any others interested.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "enjenjo"At least one third. If you are running an AC compressor too, you can add that in to get one third. One half is better.

I am probably a little short of a third, but I am going to give it a go.  We will see what happens.  

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

EMSjunkie

I gotta vote for Alan Grove.........'cuz thats what I got on my Coupe :D

dunno about anybody elses :?

but they are relatively inexpensive :-o

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"

Vance

yea , that blue coupe is great!
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Crosley"

Vance

I reckon by the time sunlight reaches you, all the other colors of the spectrum have been blocked :P  :lol:

one positive thing about you buddy.........everything is looking up :lol:  :lol:

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Crosley"

Vance

I reckon by the time sunlight reaches you, all the other colors of the spectrum have been blocked :P  :lol:

one positive thing about you buddy.........everything is looking up :lol:  :lol:

Vance

I see plenty of nose and ear hair that needs attention......

find your shoes yet?  Or do you have them on?  LOL

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

EMSjunkie

Yep, found 'em just fine 8)

hidin' under the tool shed :shock:  :-o  :wink:

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"We are using a ZZ4 motor in the 32 roadster that we are currently assembling in the shop.  I have an alternator mount that is suppose to locate the alternator on the lower left side of the engine.  The mount will not work as designed.  It hits the frame rail and steering mount.  I have looked at some of the other mounts available but they are pricy and the usually have the alternator hanging out on the side of one head or another.  Ideally I would like to have the alternator above the intake just inside the left valve cover.  Has anyone got a suggestion?   I am already designing my own mount but I would just as soon buy one or adapt something.   I will not pay the $400 that Street and Performance is asking for theirs.

John

Well here is the solution.  I made an adapter that bolts to the head and mounts the alternator with the chrome brackets that were supposed to mount it under the left front of the engine.  I hope it will work.  I do not have as much belt in the water pump pulley as I would like to have but I am not using a mechanical fan.  We should fire the motor later this week.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

docchevy

HI John,
    This is John.  I had similar problems with my Chevy-Ford.  Like EMS I used Alan Grove brackets.  The Alternator was on the TOP left side.  (I'll e-mail you a picture.)
    I powder coated 'em and then found that the power steering mount put the pump in the middle of the steering column.  I made a new mount that raised the power steering pump 6 inches.
Remember; Physics explains everything!