Is Carl Brunson still around?

Started by 48builder, September 20, 2006, 12:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

If so, I have a question for you, Carl. A few years ago you posted a response to my question about removing rust from my car's body. I apologize for not having it with me, but you mentioned using a grinding pad, I think it was 7" and 40 grit. I have this pad I bought at a show last year. It is for removing rust and looks like a very course scotch brite pad. I use them on my 4.5 inch grinder. It seems to do a great job of removing both paint and rust, and I get little or no sparks when doing it. I have only done a couple small test spots. I do have a couple spots, mainly where the side moulding was, where I have some heavier pitting. I plan on light5ly sand-blasting those areas, as well as in the rain channels to get down in there.

What do you think? Anybody other than Carl feel free to answer.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

1FATGMC

I like the scotch brite type pads myself, but can't help you out much with the rest (I sand blast where I can't get).

But about Carl, he was at b'ville and I had dinner with him.  He had a great place picked out right across from Motel 6.  We got to visit a lot as it took about 2 hours to get our meal :? .  Based on that I'll bet Carl is still waiting to get yesterdays lunch served :wink:

He said I get to pick the restaurant next year :D .

c ya,

Sum

kroozn

Sorry for the slow reply it's 4:30 and I just got back from lunch :lol:

That was some old advice on the stripping discs... you have a good memory!

I too use the newer scotch pads now. They come in lots of sizes including roll lock for the die grinder type tools.

I still use the 8" #40 & #80 paper on a soft pad on a slow speed grinder-polisher for stripping paint tho.

48builder

Quote from: "kroozn"Sorry for the slow reply it's 4:30 and I just got back from lunch :lol:

That was some old advice on the stripping discs... you have a good memory!

I too use the newer scotch pads now. They come in lots of sizes including roll lock for the die grinder type tools.

I still use the 8" #40 & #80 paper on a soft pad on a slow speed grinder-polisher for stripping paint tho.

Thanks, Carl! Who knows, maybe some day I'll get this thing in primer  :lol:
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver