Big Block Chevy Update

Started by 58Apache, April 14, 2004, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

58Apache

Thought I'd update you guys and get some ideas ....hopefully not too much criticism...

Here's what Chevl_Steve ( now known as 58Apache ) has been up to lately. I'll get to work on my 58 Apache soon and get it into a local truck show next month "as-is".

I applied power to the engine ...electrical-wise and turned the starer over ...although it didn't engage the flywheel :(    But electicity is getting to the engine and the electric choke opened and the fuse didn't blow :)

Any suggestions welcome on the mini starter. I bought it from Haywire at the Nats in Louisville last year. I'll probably call them, but experienced opinions welcomed.

Steve

58Apache

58Apache

I made this to facilitate starting the engine the next few months before the body goes back on. I put a fuse panle in it with one 20 amp fuse, a distribution block, a generic starer switch, master power switch and a mini gauge set.

58Apache

Should this gap be this wide? It's about 1/4 to 3/8 inch wide ...I am assuming it's a major contributor to the starter gear not engaging the flywheel. Any ideas before I callHayWire tech support?  The starter seems to turn fine and I can hear it extending the gear and retracting after I let off the key.

Steve

enjenjo

You sure you have the starter bolted on in the right position? I believe that starter will fit either 153 or 168 tooth flywheels. are there two sets of mounting holes in it?

That engine looks much better than it did the last time I saw it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58Apache

Ok,
       Enjenjo, you've done it again. I changed the bolt location ( I wondered why that second bolt didn't want to go in! ) and got both bolts in and tightened. Cranked the juice to the starter and it turned the engine over. The plugs are out, but still I know enough not to crank it without getting the oil circulating.

So what's my excuse for pulling a "dumbass" ?  You pick:

1. I was tired
2. Inexperienced with mini starters
3. I was drunk?
4. Just a dumb beginner
5. other ( insert your own insult here )

Steve

Fat Cat

Quote from: "58Apache"So what's my excuse for pulling a "dumbass" ?  You pick:

1. I was tired
2. Inexperienced with mini starters
3. I was drunk?
4. Just a dumb beginner
5. other ( insert your own insult here )

Steve

I pick number 10 which is a combo of 1-4. :wink:  :lol:

58Apache

Ohhhhhhh ;p~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(raspberries)