Small alternator with low mount bracket?

Started by 47convert, August 29, 2006, 11:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47convert

Anyone know of a good, small alternator and bracket that would mount low on the drivers side of a small block Chevy with double bump, (no threaded holes) cylinder heads? I tried a couple of different Speedway and Alan Grove brakets with a regular GM alternator and I'm going to have trouble clearing my Vega box, and my brake line (through the frame) Tee. I've always had a bit of trouble getting enough belt tension with some of the brakets that are out there. This car is running tripower so I need the low mount to keep eveything neat.

enjenjo

Somewhere around here I have a low mount bracket for a Honda Alternator. I'll see if I can find it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Uncle Bob

And here's another alternative.  This listing is expired, but if you either contact him directly, or wait til he lists again it might work for you; http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mini-Racing-Alternator-One-Wire-w-Electric-Waterpump_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33573QQihZ013QQitemZ230020854119QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

He shows it as used with an electric pump, but a longer belt works with a mechanical pump.  He also packages one with a grooved, flat belt for about $40 more.

A similar alternative is available from East Coast Auto Electric; http://www.ecae.com/brackets.html  #2233 ($85) is for this very small alternator.  The alternator is common to Kubota tractors (for V belt pulley), and probably other applications.  It comes in self exciting (one wire), or not.  Typically 40-50 amp output depending on which one you choose.  Around here a new one runs about $150 (just the alt).  They show up on ebay at prices around there, and sometimes lower, some higher.  They're often referred to as mini-alternators.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

47convert

I ended up ordering a set of Allan Grove brackets from Danny's Rod shop that are supposed to tuck the pump and Alternator in tight to the block. Hope they work.