Old tricks for an old man

Started by GPster, August 31, 2006, 10:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

I'm dealing with that '85 4.3 liter V6 and I'm wondering. These engine have been around for a while are they prone to head gasket failure or cracked head? I put oil in the cylinders through the spark plug holes and turning the engine by hand some of the excess oil come squirting out each cylinder but one has the oil coming out a little milky (driver's side rear). This is probably the cylinder that I removed the broken spark plug from that showed some antifreeze on it. The pan, crankcase and exhaust port all show clear and the water jacket is drained and the water pump is of so I can't tell if anything went this way. I put this cylinder on TDC and put air pressure on that cylinder with a spark plug fitting but I certainly can't hear air whisteling through the water jacket with the compressor running. Should I install plugs in the water jacket so I can get it to hold water and look for bubbles or should I plug and pressue the water jacket and check for leaks in that cylinder. Or is this a common enough occurance that I should just assume it's bad. I can't look at it and think at the same time and I'm sure you guys that have done this for a livinghave some trocks that you use that maybe I could try. I'll try to sleep in spite of it. GPster

Bib_Overalls

Couple of years ago I went through a bunch of 4.3s looking for enough good parts to build one engine.  From that experience I can tell you most of them were run hard (pickups and vans) and pretty much used up years ago. My guess is a cracked head.  I think I would take a look inside.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

GPster

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"My guess is a cracked head.  I think I would take a look inside.
Where should I look. I did a quick/dirty job (in a white shirt and good jeans) and that cylinder has had water in it but on my first look I can't see anything. I'm too elated now I'll have to wait til I'm in a bad mood to find anything wrong. This head has the 1.94" intake valves and the other cylinders look good. The only thing I noticed was that the gasket kind of distorted around the top bolt for that cylinder. Maybe if that bolt goes clear into the water jacket in the block and was loose that might have been some of the problem. Moved my compressor today and did the air test again. There was a vaccuum fitting in the intake runner of the manifold to that cylinder and I got some air there. But with the rust and crud that was in that cylinder when I spun the motor while it was upside-down on the engine stand some crud could have gotten between that valve and seat and be holding it open. An hour to get that head off and it will be 4 hours before I can think straight again. GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

I have a nice set of bare GM aluminum heads for the 4.3 engine.

Other 4.3  engine parts too.......  8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

GPster

Quote from: "Crosley"I have a nice set of bare GM aluminum heads for the 4.3 engine.Other 4.3  engine parts too.......  8)
OVRKL Thats what you need in the back seat of a Crosley station wagon . My intent is to build my project similar to "Nelly Bell" GPster

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "GPster""Nelly Bell"  

I thought that was a nickname for Rayvyn :shock:  :shock:  :lol:  :lol:  :wink:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"
Quote from: "GPster""Nelly Bell"  

I thought that was a nickname for Rayvyn :shock:  :shock:  :lol:  :lol:  :wink:

Vance

No, that's jelly brain
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

I might be missing some of the fine points but when Roy Rogers had a television show his side-kick Pat Brady drove some version of a Jeep vehicle around the ranch. I wasn't anything special but it kept him off a horse. GPster

Bib_Overalls

That was no Jeep, that was Nellybell!

Quote from: "GPster"I might be missing some of the fine points but when Roy Rogers had a television show his side-kick Pat Brady drove some version of a Jeep vehicle around the ranch. I wasn't anything special but it kept him off a horse. GPster
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Bib_Overalls

Nellybell was always breaking down at the wrong time.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

EMSjunkie

Thanks for enlightening me...........I remember, barely, Roy Rogers.
that was just a little before my time, not much, but a little :oops:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

rooster

Before Pat and Nelliebell there was Gabby Hays!! I can see Joe now...."Whoooo Nelliebell"....... :D

Whats going on with the truck? Ive been gone for awhile!

GPster

Quote from: "rooster"Whats going on with the truck? Ive been gone for awhile!
It's sitting in my front yard with a For Sale sign on the radiator shroud (wheelbarrow). I've moved it once to mow and it's time to mow again. It left the Want Ads here after about 118 views  because it's time was up and it's probably back in the archives about page 10 on the Ol' Skool site with about 8 replies about how ugly it is. There has been more interest from people driving by. This week is the county fair and next week is the Sternwheel Festiville with fireworks you can see real well from my front yard. If that doesn't show any interest I suppose it will be back in my shop and the V6 will be on the engine stand in the corner next to the 350. Hope that new medicine starts to work soon. GPster