Another C-6 trans question

Started by phat46, August 13, 2006, 07:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

I took my '40 Pickup to a little car show here yesterday and I doesn't shift out of low gear. Only about two and a half miles in low each way, so not a big deal there. I was told that in addition to the vacuum line on these trans the  kickdown linkage has to be hooked up to make it shift. There's no way that the stock kickdown linkage will work with the firewall in the  '40. I have seen a kit for a cable kickdown for  these and will probably get one. In the mean time can the kickdown lever on the trans be wired to the proper position to let the trans shift? If so, what is the porper position? BTW, the truck ran well on it's maiden voyage, even though it wasn't strictly "legal" (no plates etc.) but it was a D.A.R.E. show, so i figgered the cops might cut me a break if i got stopped. On the way home it tossed a cap off the rear universal and i had to limp it a few block home at a fast idle.

kb426

I'm not much help but I don't remember needing the kickdown linkage to make it shift. I do remember that the valve body was very sensitive to any spec of dirt. The last one I ran was in a gas dragster. It had a manual valve body and no linkage.
TEAM SMART

phat46

Quote from: "kb426"I'm not much help but I don't remember needing the kickdown linkage to make it shift. I do remember that the valve body was very sensitive to any spec of dirt. The last one I ran was in a gas dragster. It had a manual valve body and no linkage.

I know nothing about Ford trans; but I was told a couple guys about the kickdown linkage. The trans came out of a good running truck, and wasn't opened up at all. The guys that mentioned the kickdown linkage also said they were very sensitive to anything in the valve body too.

Crosley.In.AZ

the vacuum MUST be hooked to the tranny for proper operation.  Direct manifold vacuum hookup

The kick down linkage is unneeded for up shifting under light throttle.  Under hard throttle the linkage will help delay upshifts.

IF you move the shifter to "2nd" gear position the trans should be in 2nd gear
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat46

Quote from: "Crosley"the vacuum MUST be hooked to the tranny for proper operation.  Direct manifold vacuum hookup

The kick down linkage is unneeded for up shifting under light throttle.  Under hard throttle the linkage will help delay upshifts.

IF you move the shifter to "2nd" gear position the trans should be in 2nd gear

O.K. got the vacum hooked up to manifold vac, but no shifting.......I'll try the manual gear selecting.

BFS57

Hello;
I have to be honest! I just went through the same thing with a 700 r-4 trans. The guy I got it from swore up and down that the trans was rebuilt and came out of a working car! B.S.! The thing never went into overdrive not until I put my car in the trans shop! The problem was the trans itself! I made 4 trips back to the trans shop before they finally just pulled the whole thing, put in another trans completely!
Words of Wisdom! Don't believe everything someone tells you!

Just my 2 cents worth.
Bruce

phat46

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
I have to be honest! I just went through the same thing with a 700 r-4 trans. The guy I got it from swore up and down that the trans was rebuilt and came out of a working car! B.S.! The thing never went into overdrive not until I put my car in the trans shop! The problem was the trans itself! I made 4 trips back to the trans shop before they finally just pulled the whole thing, put in another trans completely!
Words of Wisdom! Don't believe everything someone tells you!

Just my 2 cents worth.
Bruce

Well, in this case I can believe it, I was the one who told me, 'cuz I was the one that drove the donor truck. If it was anyone else it would be a crap shoot. The trans in my '46 Chevy was a $50 "mockup" trans. I bought it from a guy I worked with and he said it should be a good trans; 13 years later it's still going down the road!!!!  :shock:

junkyardjeff

The kick down rods do not have to be used for the trans to shift,I never put one on my 65 country squire when it got changed to a C-6. Even though you have the vacumn line attached make sure its getting vacumn to the modulator valve,I have had the small piece of rubber hose clog up and not allowing any vacumn through it.  Does the trans still have the arm for the kick down rod on the trans,if it does make sure its not all the way down as if it is its stuck in passing gear.  The part in the valve body has a spring that will push the rod back up when released but if the arm has gotten bent and is touching anything,the arm needs to move freely even when not hooked up. The kick down arm comes out through the shift arm and if its not on it see if someone has tightened up the nut for the kick down arm against the shift arm as the kick down arm nut should not move when the shift arm moves.  Jeff

phat46

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"The kick down rods do not have to be used for the trans to shift,I never put one on my 65 country squire when it got changed to a C-6. Even though you have the vacumn line attached make sure its getting vacumn to the modulator valve,I have had the small piece of rubber hose clog up and not allowing any vacumn through it.  Does the trans still have the arm for the kick down rod on the trans,if it does make sure its not all the way down as if it is its stuck in passing gear.  The part in the valve body has a spring that will push the rod back up when released but if the arm has gotten bent and is touching anything,the arm needs to move freely even when not hooked up. The kick down arm comes out through the shift arm and if its not on it see if someone has tightened up the nut for the kick down arm against the shift arm as the kick down arm nut should not move when the shift arm moves.  Jeff

I'll check the vacuum tomorrow, it's all new line so it shouldn't be plugged, but ya never know, maybe the modulator is bad.... The arm isn't on the trans, but i did put it on yesterday and it did move freely, it's off the trans now.

junkyardjeff

Did you put the nut for the arm back on ?,if so did you put a few washers so it would tighten up.  If thats the case the kick down shaft might be tightened to the shift arm so just put the arm back on and problem could be solved.  Jeff