Looking for 9" or 8" rear end for Model A with fen

Started by ice1272, August 16, 2006, 01:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice1272

You guys have been sooo helpful in the past I'm going to throw another question at ya. What width 9" rear end would you use on a model A with fenders. i understand it depends on tire size , off sets etc. Im just trying to figure out while I'm searching in junkyards what size rear end I should be looking for and what vehicle might I find it under. I went looking yesterday and in two yards found several (I believe) 8" under two 65-66 stangs, and a 70's mustang cobra II and several 9" in some 70's model pickup. My build is presently in the gathering parts stage and I'm laying out my frame now so I can play with widths a little right now.

Dave

Quote from: "ice1272"You guys have been sooo helpful in the past I'm going to throw another question at ya. What width 9" rear end would you use on a model A with fenders. i understand it depends on tire size , off sets etc. Im just trying to figure out while I'm searching in junkyards what size rear end I should be looking for and what vehicle might I find it under. I went looking yesterday and in two yards found several (I believe) 8" under two 65-66 stangs, and a 70's mustang cobra II and several 9" in some 70's model pickup. My build is presently in the gathering parts stage and I'm laying out my frame now so I can play with widths a little right now.

Maverick or comet 8 inchers work great. 8 inch wheel with a 3 1/2 backspace and your in. I cant remember the width of the early mustangs or the mII but i think they are nearly the same as the mavericks and comets. Somewhere here on the site i think fatcat has em listed.
Dave

EMSjunkie

I think that MII Cobra should be 58.5" wide, hub to hub.
might even be 8.8"

how much they want for it?

like Dave said, there is a list of rears with measurements somewhere
on here :?

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

bigdude

Alot of guys lately have been using S-10 or Ford explorer rear ends. The ford rears are available with posi and disc brakes. They also vary in widths to some degree. :?

ice1272

The cobra rearend was a 4 bolt pattern the yard wanted $250.00 for it, the same yard had two mustang 65-66 models for $250.00 as well, I think they were 8" but couldnt really tell the were covered up with brush pretty bad while the cars are sitting on the ground. I did however find a 9'in a early 70's pickup for $100.00  and another one in an early 60's pickup for $250. they seem to be plentifull in this area  its just a matter of finding the right width.

ice1272

On the Mustang II rear end how hard or exspensive is it to replace the axles with a five bolt pattern?

Deuce

Most Model A guys use the V8 Maverick/Comet rear end. It is 56 inches wide ... measured this way.

Measuring from the backside of the backing plates is SO WRONG because the brake widths vary.

The V8 Maverick rears run $150 to $200 in my area ... much cheaper than changing axle shafts and such ... on a 4 lug rear ...

Look at this thread ...
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116005
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

ice1272

Quote from: "Deuce"Most Model A guys use the V8 Maverick/Comet rear end. It is 56 inches wide ... measured this way.

Measuring from the backside of the backing plates is SO WRONG because the brake widths vary.

The V8 Maverick rears run $150 to $200 in my area ... much cheaper than changing axle shafts and such ... on a 4 lug rear ...

Look at this thread ...
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116005

Where's your area?

Deuce

The Capitol ...
Columbia SC ...

The yard with the Mavericks is in Batesburg SC ... like it says in the additional thread I posted ...  :D
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

phat46

Dang, i have a 65/66 Mustang five bolt rear in the bed of my truck. It's been there for over a week clunking around. I'd make you a good deal if you were closer. BTW it's 57.5" from the wheel mounting surfaces of the drums.