Setting timing with a MSD ignition box installed

Started by WZ JUNK, April 09, 2004, 04:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I am trying to set the timing on an engine with an MSD box.  I have never owned one of these before and it is not going well.  When I use my old timing light the mark seems to line up but when I use my new light that I can check total advance, the mark shows up about 90 degrees away from the correct location.  What am I doing wrong or how can I make my new light work?
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

purplepickup

John, are you using that same timing light I used when I was at your house?  I was getting about a 90 degree error too.  I borrowed SamIyam's light and the timing was right where it should be.

Just a thought.
George

DRD57

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I am trying to set the timing on an engine with an MSD box.  I have never owned one of these before and it is not going well.  When I use my old timing light the mark seems to line up but when I use my new light that I can check total advance, the mark shows up about 90 degrees away from the correct location.  What am I doing wrong or how can I make my new light work?

The timing lights with a dial on the back don't read accurately when the dial set above zero and used on MSD type ignitions.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "purplepickup"John, are you using that same timing light I used when I was at your house?  I was getting about a 90 degree error too.  I borrowed SamIyam's light and the timing was right where it should be.

Just a thought.

I do not know what is going on.  The light you mentioned is working as it should on this engine.  The new light that I bought to replace the old one will not work correctly.  Don says that the one I have bought with the dial to set total advance, will not work with an MSD box.  I bought the new one specifically to have a better light and to set total advance.   There is something going on here that I do not understand.  The pickup on these lights are an inductive coupler.  If the MSD box causes the light to malfunction, there must be a way to get around it.  I want to be able to set my total advance.  Maybe I need to disconnect the MSD to set the timing.

Races have been canceled(rain) for tonight and tomorrow so I have a few more days to figure it out.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Leon

I've never trusted the accuracy of the lights with the dial on the back, Mine if I set for 36 degrees by the light then set it at zero and check it with the marks in the balancer, I'm off by almost 10 degrees.  I trust the marks on the balancer more with the timing light set at zero.

SKR8PN

Wz......Just out of curiosity,are you using a solid core type of spark plug wire? If so,you might have to use a suppresion style of wire on your #1 plug wire when you use that new light. Oh Ya.......you don't want to get ZAPPED with that MSD either. Don't ask me how I know...........
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.