Here we go again...!

Started by Crafty, July 20, 2006, 11:45:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crafty

quick update on the olds..
I have a friend who will hopefully build me a gas tank, need to catch up with him and see when he can do it.
Chassis fabrication is finally finished (!) - next step is to rebuild firewall and then probably plumb the chassis

The more interesting news is that I've bought the next project - '37 chevy coupe - see //www.crafty.f2s.com/chevy/chevy.htm
Its RHD, so I'm guessing it came through south africa or maybe canada.
I'm not sure if its a master or a master deluxe, I need to wait until it turns up, apparently masters had a straight axle front end, the deluxe has a beam.
it doesn't seem there are that many rumble seat '37s out there - if I can get a decklid I might convert it, not sure yet.
It doesn't run right now, apparently the valves are stuck, but I think they tried to fire it as it has a couple of bent pushrods.

Its pretty solid, a small area on the rear floor is lacework because a battery leaked on it, the tool tray is rough and it needs a new driver side running board and patch panel on that side but all in all not bad for 70 years old! the fenders are all good as is the body itself.

It was bought into the country around '75 and driven for a few years and has been parked since then. It will sit for a while longer while I finish the olds and decide exactly what I'm gonna do with it!

Anyone built a chevy coupe before ? I'm wondering what sort of space it has in the rear fenderwells..

I will post more pics when it gets here (hopefully will be this weekend).

parklane

Crafty.............while we in Canada may seem a bit backwards or behind the times, that 37 didn't come from here. Some right hand drive cars were built here, but strictly for export. Come & visit sometime, you may enjoy it.

John   :)

ps:  don't forget you winter parka and cold weather boots.   :wink:
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

Crafty

Hi John,

Yes I was aware that the RHD was made in Canada for export only, canada anf South Africa are the main sources of RHD amercian brand cars.
I think its more likely the car is from South Africa, the only thing Im not sure of is that the body sports a "Made by Fisher" tag, not sure if the African cars are tagged as such..

I will do more investigation when I've got the car in my hands, hopefully its coming tomorrow (saturday).