Welding helmet at Harbor Freight?

Started by 48builder, July 14, 2006, 07:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

My auto-dark helmet is giving me fits. It has an EQC Journeyman lens, number 11. Sometimes it works great, sometimes not. Often it will not lighten up after it goes dark. I took it out of the helmet and took it inside my house and it seemed to work fine. I'm not sure if maybe there was too much light in my garage with the doors open. Do those auto-dark lenses go bad? I put fresh batteries in it.

Anyway, I just got a coupon from Harbor Freight for their auto-dark helmet. It is $45. I'm a little hesitant about buying something as important as a welding helmet from them. Anybody know anything about their helmet?
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

58 Yeoman

i bought one last year; works great for me.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

1FATGMC

I've been using their 46092 for a couple years now with no problems.  The lens is just big enough I can use it with my bifocals :D .  I think I paid about $48-$50 on sale then.

c ya, Sum

junkyardjeff

I bought one last year and love it,it was originally priced around 95 dollars and was on sale for around 59 dollars.  I cant believe I went without one for so long.  Jeff

purplepickup

I've got a 7 year old HF #39310 Chameleon brand that I like a lot.  I've also got a nice Hobart auto-darkening that has flashed me a couple of times.  I don't know why it did but the HF one has never failed to work right.  They're both hanging next to each other and I almost always grab the HF hood.  The solar cell and the lens are bigger than the Hobart and it feels better to wear.  And I haven't had to replace the batteries yet.

If you get a solar one make sure you hang it where it gets enough light to keep the batteries charged.  I hang mine by a window.
George

donsrods

Anyway, I just got a coupon from Harbor Freight for their auto-dark helmet. It is $45. I'm a little hesitant about buying something as important as a welding helmet from them. Anybody know anything about their helmet?

I think it depends on how much welding you do.  For the occasional welder, these are fine, and sure beat the old ones you have to flip down every time you are ready to strike an arc. But if you do any significant amount of welding, buy a Miller or Hobart, or similar. They aren't cheap, but neither is your vision.  We have two, one is a cheaper self darkening, and one is the Miller with the flames on it, which cost a lot more.  The cheaper one only gets used when I want to watch my Son while he is welding something, because the other one is just so much better in fit and features.

But for the guy who welds just every once in a while, the HF are fine.  I think you just got a bad one.

Don

moondisc

Quote from: "48builder"My auto-dark helmet is giving me fits. It has an EQC Journeyman lens, number 11. Sometimes it works great, sometimes not. Often it will not lighten up after it goes dark. I took it out of the helmet and took it inside my house and it seemed to work fine. I'm not sure if maybe there was too much light in my garage with the doors open. Do those auto-dark lenses go bad? I put fresh batteries in it.

My Hobart has flashed me a couple of times, when welding overhead and my fat arm gets in the way of the sensor.
Great to see you at Syracuse Walt.