Look'n for answers

Started by MrMopar64, July 09, 2006, 02:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMopar64

I took the Rambler out to a show in Palmdale today bout 80mi from home
I was go'n down the road and hear this noise Hard to discribe but sorta like running over rumble strips on the side of the road (which I wasn't)
Everything seemed fine then couple miles later I see the temp creep'n up
Not bad 195/200 so I keep drive'n on to the show as soon as I get off the freeway the temp goes up more 210 so I guess its time to check it out :roll:  This is about 15 to 20 mi later  
When I get out I notice I can't here the electric fans pop the hood and there not only stopped but one only has 1 blade left out of bout 10 and the other only has 3   :shock:
They are 2- 10 inch fans running side by side with no shroud these are off a Mersades(sp)
There is no other damage in the engine compartment
Any body have any idea what would cause this????

Thanks
MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

SKR8PN

If they are from a salvage yard,it is possible they had some hidden damage that you may not have noticed. All it takes is one blade to be out of balance just wee bit to set up vibrations that will eventually shake it apart.
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

donsrods

That sounds like the most logical answer to me. They probably had some fractures from an accident or handling, and self destructed.

How long have they been on the car?  

Don

Ed ke6bnl

MrMopar, I live in Agua Dulce not far from palmdale, not sure if you went to the show at LARC. I want to go but my girl was having her 18th birthday and that was a priority.   But I put a new Zirgo fan in my wifers 68 mustang worked great but on the way up our dirt road I herd a lot of snapping sounds got home opened the hood and there was not a single  blade on the fan.  I called Zirgo and they do not sell a blade alone and said they never herd of this happening b4, They said that they may have a blade laying around and when he found one I thouht I would pay shipping and they would send it out since it was a couple of months old, no way he wanted almost as much as I paid for the new fan.  Zirgo is on the list of companys for me not to deal with.

Quote from: "MrMopar64"I took the Rambler out to a show in Palmdale today bout 80mi from home
I was go'n down the road and hear this noise Hard to discribe but sorta like running over rumble strips on the side of the road (which I wasn't)
Everything seemed fine then couple miles later I see the temp creep'n up
Not bad 195/200 so I keep drive'n on to the show as soon as I get off the freeway the temp goes up more 210 so I guess its time to check it out :roll:  This is about 15 to 20 mi later  
When I get out I notice I can't here the electric fans pop the hood and there not only stopped but one only has 1 blade left out of bout 10 and the other only has 3   :shock:
They are 2- 10 inch fans running side by side with no shroud these are off a Mersades(sp)
There is no other damage in the engine compartment
Any body have any idea what would cause this????

Thanks
MM64  8)
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

MrMopar64

Quote from: "Ed ke6bnl"MrMopar, I live in Agua Dulce not far from palmdale, not sure if you went to the show at LARC. I want to go but my girl was having her 18th birthday and that was a priority.   But I put a new Zirgo fan in my wifers 68 mustang worked great but on the way up our dirt road I herd a lot of snapping sounds got home opened the hood and there was not a single  blade on the fan.  I called Zirgo and they do not sell a blade alone and said they never herd of this happening b4, They said that they may have a blade laying around and when he found one I thouht I would pay shipping and they would send it out since it was a couple of months old, no way he wanted almost as much as I paid for the new fan.  Zirgo is on the list of companys for me not to deal with.

Yep Ed thats where we went..... The Rat Fink Party - Kustom Kulture Extravaganza
You could have take'n her there..... It was a big party :lol:  :lol:
Well I had to go into town and buy a flex fan to put on to get me home...
So I don't think I'm going back to the electrics  :?

MM64  8)

BTW..... I got Best Sedan Delivery  :D  :D  :D
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "MrMopar64"
Quote from: "Ed ke6bnl"MrMopar, I live in Agua Dulce not far from palmdale, not sure if you went to the show at LARC. I want to go but my girl was having her 18th birthday and that was a priority.   But I put a new Zirgo fan in my wifers 68 mustang worked great but on the way up our dirt road I herd a lot of snapping sounds got home opened the hood and there was not a single  blade on the fan.  I called Zirgo and they do not sell a blade alone and said they never herd of this happening b4, They said that they may have a blade laying around and when he found one I thouht I would pay shipping and they would send it out since it was a couple of months old, no way he wanted almost as much as I paid for the new fan.  Zirgo is on the list of companys for me not to deal with.

Yep Ed thats where we went..... The Rat Fink Party - Kustom Kulture Extravaganza
You could have take'n her there..... It was a big party :lol:  :lol:  
Well I had to go into town and buy a flex fan to put on to get me home...
So I don't think I'm going back to the electrics  :?  

MM64  8)

Congratulation on the award, I went as a visitor last year and wanted to bring my truck this yr. but things did not work out, sorry I could not have been of help was home till about 2:00 that day.  I went to The Blessing of the Cars last year and hope to attend this year. It is July 29 at  the Hansen Dam park, there are a lot  of low rider and and cars with little to no money invested up to some real fancy customs one.  Might give it some thought. www.blessingofthecars.com  
BTW..... I got Best Sedan Delivery  :D  :D  :D
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1968 Mustang Coupe

MrMopar64

I was there last year too..... Ya should have dropped by for a cold one  :D
Of course at that show I'm not the only one there with a pink car  :lol:  :lol:

I got several flyers for the blessing......... But that day I'll be at a birthday party...... Mother-in-laws 80th   :)  
Maybe next time  :wink:

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com

donsrods

So I don't think I'm going back to the electrics ( quote)

I really think you both have a couple of isolated cases here.  I have run one on my daily driver Jeep truck for 4 years ( it just died of old age.....runs continually) and I ran one on my '27 for about 5 years, with no problems. Yeah, they do die like any electrical appliance, but overall are pretty good. Honda, Lincoln and many other car builders have been using them for years too.

I did learn a lesson when I just replaced the one on the Jeep.  I had one on there from Auto Zone and just went to a SPAL fan.  What a difference. This thing moves way more air and my temp has gone down 10 - 20 degrees. I had a conversation with a radiator builder at Daytona last year, and he said he has this test booth where he regularly tests every fan that comes along, and he has never found one to match the SPAL.

I see some rodders on these forums have used the Lincoln Mk 8 ( I think) fans and say they are the strongest of the production units, but I have never used one, so I can't say.

I suggest you give them one more shot, and I really endorse the SPAL unit for efficiency and also sliim size. I picked up 3/4 inch pulley clearance on my Jeep.

Don

Ed ke6bnl

Don, I only mentioned my experience with Zirgo to prevent others from making the same mistake with that company, my 50 F1 with a 327/300hp I use a dual 11" spal fan for the last 3 years and that thing instanly cools down my Griffin radiator under any condition.  It moves a lot of air and by doing so uses a lot of amperage to do it.  can't have it both ways low aps and move lots of air. Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "donsrods"So I don't think I'm going back to the electrics ( quote)

I really think you both have a couple of isolated cases here.  I have run one on my daily driver Jeep truck for 4 years ( it just died of old age.....runs continually) and I ran one on my '27 for about 5 years, with no problems. Yeah, they do die like any electrical appliance, but overall are pretty good. Honda, Lincoln and many other car builders have been using them for years too.

I did learn a lesson when I just replaced the one on the Jeep.  I had one on there from Auto Zone and just went to a SPAL fan.  What a difference. This thing moves way more air and my temp has gone down 10 - 20 degrees. I had a conversation with a radiator builder at Daytona last year, and he said he has this test booth where he regularly tests every fan that comes along, and he has never found one to match the SPAL.

I see some rodders on these forums have used the Lincoln Mk 8 ( I think) fans and say they are the strongest of the production units, but I have never used one, so I can't say.

I suggest you give them one more shot, and I really endorse the SPAL unit for efficiency and also sliim size. I picked up 3/4 inch pulley clearance on my Jeep.

Don
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1968 Mustang Coupe

donsrods

Don, I only mentioned my experience with Zirgo to prevent others from making the same mistake with that company

I hope you don't think I was faulting you for doing that. I think it's great that we get these kinds of heads up. No, thanks for the info.

I hate to sound like a cheerleader for SPAL., but I am really impressed with the air this thing moves. It is totally noticable and different than the cheapy I had on there.

Don

MrMopar64

Well talked to my Dad today (which is where I got the fans)......
Seems they may have died from old age  :(  He said he had them on the shelf for bout 20yrs or so and I've prob had them for 5  :oops:  So I'm think'n the plastic was just to old
I have a friend of mine that works for Nissan and he said the old 240 and 260 Z's would throw blades off the plastic fans on the motor from old age

So maybe I try a new set  :)

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "donsrods"

I hate to sound like a cheerleader for SPAL., but I am really impressed with the air this thing moves. It is totally noticable and different than the cheapy I had on there.

Don

Let me join ya.
I have a 16"  Spal on my Coupe. I  love it..  :)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****