When reality adds some credabity to opinions

Started by GPster, July 14, 2006, 08:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

When I talk about frame changes under the Jeepster S10s keep coming up. I have been stuck on the idea that with my needing automatic transmission, power steering and power brakes that I'd be better off looking at the '78 to '86 GM products and maybe I could get it all in one package and use part of the firewall and the floor and some of the mechanical incidentials. Last night I was reading a Rod and Custom and one of the featured cars was a "shoebox" Ford sitting on a Buick Special (?) chassis of the identied realm and it had too wide a tread width for that body style and had to be narrowed. So when thinking if it's too wide for a shoebox then it will really be hanging out of a '48 Jeepster. So now I'm wondering about the S10 and wondering the possibilities of finding all my wants in one package. Does anyone have a line on any S10 sites that I could explore. * near all the early ones around here have standard transmissions and no power anything and I need to see some of the options and ideas of some of the car parts that might bolt on. But while I'm wondering about putting pieces together I'll throw in a strange request. I've got an early Mustang 8" rear end for this project already. Of course it's 5 x 4 1/2" bolt pattern. Anyone got any ideas of a Ford or Mopar disc that will fit a S 10 spindle and use the S 10 caliper? It will be a think or bleed brakes weekend for me. GPster

GPster

False alarm? Looked at that article again last night and the donor chassis was from under a '77 Buick Regal. Maybe I'm still half right but it wouldn't hurt to learn more. It's a lot easier in this heat to read on the computer than crawl under cars in a parking lot with a tape measure. I would still welcome the information about S 10 sites and brake disc swapping. GPster

Bib_Overalls

Have you considered building a frame out of mild steel rectangular tubing?

As I recall the Jeepster frames are pretty basic.  You could most likely fabricate one on the garage floor.   Universal Mustang II front cross members are affordable and with a little looking you should be able to score the other parts used.  Out back you could use parallel leafs and a Ford 8" out of a Maverick or Comet.  Or you could use a Mustang II rear end and springs as well.

A number of years ago I swapped a Mustang II V6 (same motor that Ford used in the German built Capri) and automatic transmission into a Mazda rotary pickup.  I put almost 100K on the combination.  The only modification I made was to replace the carb with a Holly 350 CFM two barrel.  Very compact combination with good performance.  Always thought it would be a good candidate for a Jeepster or other small car engine swap.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

GPster

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"As I recall the Jeepster frames are pretty basic.  You could most likely fabricate one on the garage floor.
The Jeepster frame is the same as 2 wheel drive pick-ups and 2 wheel drive station wagons and I don't think they're all that simple as I can see all of mine because there is no floor. The only thing I can't see is the bottom of the "Top Hat section of the frame because there isn't one (bottom) plus it's got an "X" member that looks like it's made out of 7" "I" beam When I first got out of the hospital I was full of ideas of what to build but It took me 10 years to get back to driving and I'm only good for about 6,000 miles a year. For this kind of use I can't see that much trouble and I've down-sized most of my expectations (SBC 350/350 8" rear end 7" dropped tube axel) but I'm not ready to give up the name. GPster

Bib_Overalls

Have you checked this link?

http://members.tripod.com/~DAN_WRIGHT/index-3.html

There is an add for a Jeepster on an S-10 chassis dated 3-17-06.

The seller may be able to give you some insight.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

GPster

Well an S 10 4 dr Blazer appeared in my yard today so the ideas of what I could use has lessened some. The gas tank was off of it and the top of the fuel injection manifold is off and there's parts thrown everywhere. Part of the deal involves taking a carbureated v6 and a bunch of pieces that go with it too. I don't know yet what all is there but it was a clean-up after an eviction deal. I remember hearing about someone that had one of these 90 degree V6s that only needed a timing chain and I've got a 350 turbo that should help eliminate a bunch of that 4 X 4 stuff. This will give me some new junk to take apart. To tired to think about itand when it gets late I can't tell the difference between '78 Buick  and '77 Buick. Tomorrow is another day and maybe the sun will shine and I can see what I've got. GPster

donsrods

I've always liked Jeepsters.  My Dad bought me one for $ 225 the Christmas before he died,(I was 11) and after that my Mom made me sell it because my Uncle convinced her I was going to kill myself driving it around our farm. I think he wanted it for his buddy, actually. So I have a soft spot in my heart for them.(and none for my Uncle)

First of all, I think you need to get a real clear picture in your head about what you want this car to be like. How often are you going to drive it? How much power do you want it to have?  You mention power steering and all that , which leads me to believe you want to use it regularly or pretty often.

Here is the reality.  These cars have a very narrow tread, and were essentially Jeep stationwagons turned into a sportscar. That being the case, most modern frames and drivetrains will be too wide.  Why are you thinking about a total frame swap?  Is nothing left of your cars underpinnings that is savable?  You may have discussed this all in previous threads, but I must have missed them.

How about posting some pictures so we can see what you have to start with?  I think what was said by others about using the existing frame or building one is good advice, but let's see what you have now so we can maybe offer better advice.

Don

GPster

Don, your post is very thoughtful but my reality is "Sunday Morning Coming Down". I'd like to reply to your post but it started to turn into a novel. This is starting to feel like trying to help one project may turn into a project of it's own. This thing is mostly trying to build something around an idea and a title and is mostly thought to end up as a "T" bucket "Ute" with fenders, chopped carson style top with an abreviated tub bustle. Gpster