VDO Elect Speedo Help Needed

Started by Dirk35, July 03, 2006, 12:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirk35

Hi all, I put a VDO Electronic Speedo in the 35. 302 Ford with C-4 Tranny. Hooked up the wires per the directions. Hooked up the weirdo sender thingy ("Halls Effect Sender" if I remember correctly, Im at work) into the Speedo Cable hole on the tranny. I get power to the Gauge cause it will let me try to set it, But it keeps giving the "No Signal" Error message when I try to load it for the 1st time.

To set it, you Push the botton with vehicle off, the Pointer runs full range motion, it gives you options, you choose the "Drive a Mile" Option, Drive a Mile, then hit the button again. I have a Mile course marked off that we used a Police Distance Marker Wheel for Our two-mile Rune for the Army, it is accurate.

My Rear Tires are rather large, so I have tried running longer then the one-mile and shorter than the one-mile just incase it is not with-in its allowable paramaters. You can set them if you know the number to put in, but I would have no idea the number to try. Does anyone know the number their vehicle is using? If I can get it to accept that, then I can at least see if the sender works.

Now, I had the gauges for over a year before I installed them. Is it possible the Sender thingy is bad.

Also, there is a little square rod inside the sender thingy (it has an e-clip on it also) that I can only guess it needs, and I put it in, but it didnt really say anything about it in the directions. Should I take it out? It fits in just fine.

Did I just get a defective one? Or is there some trouble-shooting guidelines I should follow.

Thanks.

MrMopar64

I know nothing about this ........ but does the sender have a gear on the end of it like a speedo cable?  :?
If so and it doesn't work I'd guess the sender is bad   :(

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

Dirk35

No gear, just a little square rod.

Is there supposed to be a gear on the rod? Hmmmmmmm, Ok, Im a retard, I didnt even think about that.

Where would I get a gear for it (easily)? Can I get one from B&M? Or do I gotta hit Tranny Shops and hope I can get the correct one?

MrMopar64

Most auto parts stores like Napa I think should have them..... Tranny shop or dealer too... Or the one off the old spedo cable if you have one

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com

MrMopar64

Square rod.... Most spedo cables have a square end on them that goes into the gear so yep I think that might be your problem....  :wink:  

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com

enjenjo

You still need a speedo drive gear in the trans. Junkyard, trans shop, whatever.

To check the sender, which is a Hall effect pickup, hook a voltmeter to the wires coming out of it, and spin the square drive pin with your fingers, the voltmeter needle should jump up and back as it turns.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dirk35

I tried Napa and O'Reilleys and no luck getting the little plastic Speedo gear. I hit the local Tranny shop and he suggested I try VDO. I searched VDO's site and all they offer is the gear for Chevy.

Can soneone with more knowledge give me the part number from Napa, or do I need to go to Ford Dealership?

MrMopar64

I'm sure you can get one at the dealer....... And with the spedo being programmable it shouldn't make much difference which one you get (as long as it fits your tranny) as the spedo is set by distance traveled

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com

Crosley.In.AZ

I near laughed my self silly thinking that there was no speed-O gear on the end of the shaft......

TCI at one time carried/listed  Ford Speed-O gears....  i do not know too many places other than Ford that has the gears.

perhaps Ford resto parts places?

I see many DIY folks that goof up speed-O parts.  When you do not work with it , how would a person know?

We had a customer with smoke coming from his ears a few months back..... it was our fault he installed a plastic driven gear setup against an electronic speed-O reluctor on the out put shaft of a 700 tranny he bought from us.  He requested the electronic speed-O style unit since he gauge was electronic.  LOL  too funny

At the end he admitted he was a DA , thanked us for setting him straight

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

36vicky

Dirk,

Maybe this site will get you started in the right direction (and at the correct speed, ha).

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_201146/tm.htm

Good luck, Tom G.
The Vicky Henry never built, it won\'t be long now, it won\'t be long now, it won\'t be long now...  Tom G.