4 Bar/suspension experts - I need some help

Started by Stovebolt, June 23, 2006, 11:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stovebolt

I was reading an old R&C about Drag suspension setups, and it calls for the centre of gravity to enable one to setup a kick * launching Hot rod.

A friend of mine runs a 351Cleveland and uses the camshaft as the centre of gravity, and he uses a line drawn from the rear of the camshaft centre-line were it intersects with the centre of the vertical plane of the bellhousing, and due to the angle of the engine, he then transposes this point to the front axle centre-line, and the draws another line from that point to the centre of the rear tire tread pattern. This allows him to determine where the 4 bars must intersect, at the point where the angled line from cam/front axle centre line crosses the point half way thru the bellhousing, on its way to the rear wheel contact point.

BTW his coupe has about 420 HP at the flywheel, and pulls straight out of the hole with no squatting, and it rides and handles like a new car!!!

My point is - As My name suggests I'm using a Stovebolt six in my coupe, and the camshaft is 4 1/2" above the crankshaft centreline. Theres a heap of metal above the "Centre of Gravity" - the camshaft - so is it applicable to use the reference point, or should I adjust it up to compensate for the inline engine?

Are there any web sites where I can learn more about setting up this type of suspension?

thanks in advance - from a guy who lurks more than posts.

Cheers

Mark

enjenjo

Yes you can still use that spec. It is only a ball park figure, but should be within an inch or two of being correct. I don't quite understand transposing it to the front axle.What you want is for the four bars to be pushing on the center of gravity, for optimum performance. Multiple front mounting holes will allow you to adjust for track conditions. IE, just below the CG will not plant the tires quite as hard, and just above will plant them a bit harder.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Stovebolt

Quote from: "enjenjo"Yes you can still use that spec. It is only a ball park figure, but should be within an inch or two of being correct. I don't quite understand transposing it to the front axle.What you want is for the four bars to be pushing on the center of gravity, for optimum performance. Multiple front mounting holes will allow you to adjust for track conditions. IE, just below the CG will not plant the tires quite as hard, and just above will plant them a bit harder.
Transposing to Centre of Gravity to the front axle negates the angle of the engine - as I understand it.

I'll try this method, and tack into consideration your suggestion of making the front mounts for the 4 bar adjustable.
It should be fun trying to sort it out ;)

Thnx for the reply