A suggestion

Started by GPster, June 23, 2006, 08:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

It would be nice for me if the charts that list rear end widths (9" Ford, 8" Fords 10 bolt GMs and 12 Bolt GMs) were in the Tech space so I could find them when I am curious about something. That file might also then be available when someone has an oddball come up (like '49 - '51 Ford station wagons). I know it exists somewhere but it's as hard to remember as where to send donations. GPster

GPster

It took me 2 days but I remembered where it was, but it wasn't as complete as I thought . I was going to use the width of the rear end of a '78 to '86 GM metric to guess at a tread width and see if the whole chassis of one would work under my Jeepster. There's supposed to be an '82 Cutlass floating around that was a little old lady's car with a V6 for $300.00 and what I wouldn't use should bring $100.00 at the shreader. It would make it more complicated than I had planned but I'm more complicated too. GPster

enjenjo

That Cutlass has a tread width of about 56", and the frame is about that wide too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Well that still makes it a possibilty. The body before the rear fenders is 57" wide. It's only 52" at the firewall but the frame would need to be shortened to 104" and that out-ward kick in the frame at the back of the subframe might be the right place to get the frame and body to match. Around here the frames have a bad time surviving rot around the gastank but that would not be a problem because I'd want the frame short because the body has been shortened behind the fenders (one of  the reasons for liking rear coil spring suspension) but they're also bad about rotting in front of the rear drivers side wheel. If it appears I'll have to check that too as Granny cars rust too. GPster  P.S. How's Noah?

enjenjo

Why not an S10 chassis? They are 2" narrower tread width, same suspension in front, and the frame is only 38" wide. A V6 fits well in them. You will have to shorten the wheelbase for the Jeepster, so rework the rear for coil springs and truck arms while you are at it.

GPster

One of the realities of this body is it has a "Poor Man" section job. The bottom 3' of the body and the floor are gone. I thought the rails might make some finish to the lower edge of the body and would bring some hiding to the running gear. I only need this finish between the tires and I thought the car floor might have some match to the tranny and driveshaft tunnel. I'd thought about S10 in front and metric in the back but this is too many pieces and the more pieces I have to hunt the more terrified I get. I'm thinking re-bodying a Cutlass may be easier than building a Jeepster. GPster

1FATGMC

Quote from: "enjenjo".......so rework the rear for coil springs and truck arms while you are at it.

Nice guy Frank, that was suppose to be your assignment now you are pushing it off on Joe :wink: .

c ya, Sum

GPster

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "enjenjo".......so rework the rear for coil springs and truck arms while you are at it.
Nice guy Frank, that was suppose to be your assignment now you are pushing it off on Joe :wink: .c ya, Sum
There's an article on those arms in the newest Rod and Custom mag. They blamed it on Junior Johnson and how they were homoligated into NASCAR. I used something similar for the rear suspension when I built my Model A. They used to use some dandy 2" "I" beam installing chain link fence and it was galvanized and didn't rust. GPster

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"That Cutlass has a tread width of about 56", and the frame is about that wide too.

58"
at least all of 'em i've thrown away were..
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "enjenjo"That Cutlass has a tread width of about 56", and the frame is about that wide too.

58"

You may be right, I didn't look it up. hat would make the S10 4" narrower.

enjenjo

Quote from: "1FATGMC"

Nice guy Frank, that was suppose to be your assignment now you are pushing it off on Joe :wink: .

c ya, Sum

Don't give up on me yet.

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "tomslik"

58"

You may be right, I didn't look it up. hat would make the S10 4" narrower.

2wd s-10's were about 4" narrower than 4x4 s-10's but i don't remember either width....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list