Nova or MII??

Started by midnight sun, April 02, 2004, 07:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midnight sun

Sick guy that I am, Im not yet finished with my model A and I now have a 47 Ford coupe.  Am trying to decide what front end to put under it.  I have access to a Nova "rear steer" front or can go with the everyday MII.

Opinions???

Thanks in advance.

Later
How can there be "self help" groups :?:

enjenjo

A Nova sub is the second worst thing you could do to that poor old Ford. The worst is a Camaro front steer sub. I should know, I've done both.

If the Nova sub is disc brake, sell it for $300 to get the money for a Mustang crossmember. You will thank yourself in the end.

Mustang frontend, Tbird steering, one weekend work, and you are on the road.

I think I have built every model of 46 to 48 Ford except a sedan delivery. Coupe, delux coupe, two door sedan, four door sedan, convertible, and a Woody. Flathead, Chevy small block, Chevy big block, 302 Ford, and a 350 Olds. Glide, C4, 350 turbo, 400 turbo, 700R4, both three and 4 speed manuals.

Only thing I have built more of is 41 to 48 Chevys, and that includes a sedan delivery. :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

Glad my 41's only got the second worst. But it sure rides and handles great.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

Quote from: "phat rat"Glad my 41's only got the second worst. But it sure rides and handles great.

No offense meant. Having done one, I am aware of how difficult it is to make it fit right. And yes it does ride nice, I've owned both a GM sub car, and a mustang II car, and  done right, either one will ride nice, and handle great.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "phat rat"Glad my 41's only got the second worst. But it sure rides and handles great.

No offense meant. Having done one, I am aware of how difficult it is to make it fit right. And yes it does ride nice, I've owned both a GM sub car, and a mustang II car, and  done right, either one will ride nice, and handle great.

Not to worry I didn't take offense. Just couldn't resist commenting. And yes it is a little more complicated to do the sub.

midnight sun

What is the difficulty in getting one to "fit".  I also plan to use a GM motor so thought the motor mount would be easier.  Also, you can convert the drums to discs cant you?

Long way off but thought I would get some early input/ideas.  

Thanks
How can there be "self help" groups :?:

Slick 50

Quote from: "midnight sun"I also plan to use a GM motor ...

GM MOTOR!!!!  :?

Seeing as how you do such good work, why not get a bit innovative and use a Ford engine in that Ford car????? Unless, of course you are thinking 500 inch Caddy.

BTW, how are you doing with your brother's "collection"?
Ken    8)
aka Slick 50

phat rat

Quote from: "midnight sun"What is the difficulty in getting one to "fit".  I also plan to use a GM motor so thought the motor mount would be easier.  Also, you can convert the drums to discs cant you?

Long way off but thought I would get some early input/ideas.  

Thanks

Well it's far from bolt on, if the cars going to be down on the ground it could be a little wide for tire and fender clearence without narrowed A-arms, plus you on your own for fabbing mounts for the front sheetmetal and radiator. If you decide to go with the sub the rear steer is a little narrower than the front steer plus you don't have to deal with the steering box possibly interfering with the sheetmetal. That said I have a rear steer under my 41 cpe it rides great and  handles like a dream but. If I were to do another one I'd lean towards a MII type because of fit and cost. The Nova is certainly not a cheap front end by the time you get done rebuilding everything. I had to use narrowed A-arms (got lucky and Charley Chops who helped me with the build made a jig for narrowing them so that was a $700 savings) the car drives down the road fine but takes a 40 acre field to make a u-turn (can't make a u-turn on a 3 lane road without backing once). Fabbing motor mounts would be alot easier