Generator to alternator swap

Started by phat46, May 25, 2006, 09:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

Stupid question....What's involved in swapping an altenator to a car that had a generator, wiring wise that is? A friend of mine is doing this in a '65 Mustang, it has the stock harness in place.

donsrods

You will have to deal with two things, the bracketry to mount it, and the wiring.

Bracketry should be no problem, as Ford went to alternators later on, so just hit the local junkyard and find a sbf (I assume you are dealing with a V8 )  and get the appropriate brackets to mount the alternator.

As for wiring, simplest way is to buy a one-wire alternator. It is internally regulated, so all you have to do is run a # 10 wire from the batt post on the alternaor to the positive battery post. Or, you could do it the conventional way and mount a regulator and all the associated wiring.

One wire is the way to go for ease, though.

Don

phat46

Quote from: "donsrods"You will have to deal with two things, the bracketry to mount it, and the wiring.

Bracketry should be no problem, as Ford went to alternators later on, so just hit the local junkyard and find a sbf (I assume you are dealing with a V8 )  and get the appropriate brackets to mount the alternator.

As for wiring, simplest way is to buy a one-wire alternator. It is internally regulated, so all you have to do is run a # 10 wire from the batt post on the alternaor to the positive battery post. Or, you could do it the conventional way and mount a regulator and all the associated wiring.

One wire is the way to go for ease, though.

Don

He has done a motor swap, to a 302 and  the alt. on it needs four wires, what he asked me was what wire goes where...I have no idea...I have that setup on my project truck i believe, maybe it is the same....

donsrods

I don't have my wiring book here in front of me, but essentially all Ford alternators and regulators have a Field, ground, and two others I can't remember right now (couple of Coronas isn't helping :D  :D ) One of the wires also goes to the idiot light on the dash.

Someone on here will probably be able to post a diagram to help out.

Don

MrMopar64

Quote from: "phat46"Stupid question....What's involved in swapping an altenator to a car that had a generator, wiring wise that is? A friend of mine is doing this in a '65 Mustang, it has the stock harness in place.

Found this on the web...... http://www.blert.net/comet/gen2alt/
There are other pix there you might want to look at

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

phat46

Thanks guys this should be enough, I hope

donsrods

Found this on the web...... http://www.blert.net/comet/gen2alt/
There are other pix there you might want to look at

I don't know how you guys keep coming up with all these great diagrams and info off of the web. The only thing worthwhile I have been able to find so far are a lot of naked women. :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Gotta run now and do some more research................ :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Don