Soft jack pads

Started by jaybee, May 22, 2006, 09:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C9

Quote from: "Bob Paulin"

First of all, please reassure me that the tires you are about to destroy are, in fact, absolute junk......something that won't even help out some neighborhood kid with a Camaro......or a guy running a street-tire-only class at the local race track.

Taking that for granted, let me ask which side the guy was trying to dismount the tire from......

A number of years ago - in the '60s - the 14-inch GM wheels were offset with the wide flange to the outside. We actually had to mount and dismount tires from the back side on these wheels.

The tires were purchased 21 years ago.
BFG's 31.50x15 light truck radial with 7 tread plies and 3 sidewall plies.
Rather sturdy they were even at 16# pressure.
10" x 15" slot mags fwiw.

I ran them for quite a while and bought a pair of BFG 285/70R-15 with 3 tread plies and 1 sidewall ply.
Much better ride at 20# pressure on the same wheels.

Somewhere in the tire swapping process the shop guy screwed up and one of the 31.50's ended up with a bubble in the sidewall.
I ended up using them as rollers on another set of 10" wheels.

As old as they are and with one tire bubbled, I hesitate to pass them on.

I do have a good pair of 185/70R-14's with lots of tread.
They're about five years old and were swapped out for a pair of 195/70R-14's to gain a little front end height.
(My fairly low jack wouldn't slide under the axle.)
I'd pass those along if I knew someone who could use them and pick them up.
Don't want to fool with shipping.
They look good enough to use on the street and would make a good roller.

Thanks for the info on cutting.
More than likely I'll take the wheels to the tire shop down the street.
They're a pretty good group of guys to do with business with.

Far as I know, both sets of 10" slot mags allow the tire to come off over the front.
The problem with the gas station guy was he kept letting the bead come out of the drop center and was attempting to force things.
It was apparent he was new to the tire machine so I gave up and I think he's glad I told him to stop as well.

The larger in diameter outer flange on new at the time 14" wheels is one I remember well.
It's one of the first things my gas station boss taught me.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.