Why don't you do something with that car?

Started by jaybee, March 28, 2004, 03:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

Not a bad idea!  After what only seems like forever my youngest son and I finally worked on the 57 Chevy wagon yesterday afternoon.  So far just a matter of freeing sticky hinges and cleaning the debris out, but you have to start somewhere.  The broken windshield comes out next.  We were pleasantly surpised at what we found.  The spare tire well frequently rusts through on these, it's solid.  The cargo floor is also in good shape with minimal work needed.  Right side floor boards aren't so bad, a little patching and it'll be fine.  Left side needs complete floor replacement front to rear.  Someone put in a floor shift in the past and apparently didn't seal it real well, It leaked water around the shifter and rusted out the whole left side.

Thought the windshield wipers had been pulled but that isn't the case.  The outside trim is gone but the wiper shafts are hanging under the dash.  That'll make it easier to bring the wipers up to date as bolt-on electric replacements for the original vacuum motor are available.  Thought I had the rear seat bottom and seat back catches but no.  Shouldn't be too difficult to work something out on the seat base, the catches might be harder to find.  Missing the glove box door and rear window garnish moldings, somehow I overlooked that before.  Lower tailgate isn't good, maybe I'll find a deal on a better one.

Next up is continued disassembly.  Get the good windows out and safely stored, tailgate stashed, that sort of thing.  Front suspension will probably be first in terms of "real work".
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Dirk35

Sounds like fun with your son!
Keep us posted.