Breaking THE Rules of Braking ?

Started by rooster, March 12, 2006, 10:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

We probely have the wrong stuff but thought it would be a good idea to see what you guys think. This is for my sons 49 chevy,. all the brake componets we have are used.

The master cylinder is the manual type duel, its Ford Mustang 1972 we dont know its sizebore for a fact, but think its 1". Cant see any size on it.  Its to be mounted under the floorboard. The master seems to have a "springee" feel in its rear port. Unclear if this should be removed or not.

Disk brakes for the front of car are kinda on but having problems,  we dont know what size the calipers are but they fit the bracket and clear suspension. Should be early 70's chevelle. The bleeders will be higher than the master cylinder for sure.

The rear brake cylinder  is from a 1979 Firebird, forged in the side of its cylinder says 15/16.

The brake lines are new 1/4", not installed completly, still deciding where to put caliper to
the front of rotor or rear! We dont have any valve of any kind anywhere that we know of,
except for that "spingee" thing in the rear port of master cylinder!

The tiers will be P215 70R 15 , all 4.

It gets confusing guys saying one thing  and another saying something else.

From what I gather about this I need some kind of valve (that works) for the front brakes,
keeping them bleeding back to the master cylinder, because the calipers are higher than
the master cylinder. I understand that the valve is directional and that keeps the fluid from
returning to the MC. But how does this valve work when you apply the brakes , it seems
something has to allow the pads to return somewhat to keep from draging. Is this where
the controled amount of presure comes in? example : 2lb front res valve.

enjenjo

you will need a couple valves. you should have a holdoff valve, a factory combo valve will perform this function. And you need a residual valve on each end, 10 psi in the rear, 2psi in the front. It sounds like you have a 10 psi valve in the master cylinder. So you need to add a 2psi valve in the front.

I added more in explaination on the other thread for residual valves in how they work.

You are pretty well matched as to caliper size, rear wheel cylinder size, and master cylinder size.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rooster

So he needs a total of 2 valves!
One (1) to take care of both front disks, installed in the 1/4" brake line before the split going to the front calipers! Like this:

http://www.ssbrakes.com/products/detail/3483/?make=Street%20Rod%20Accessories&model=Residual+Pressure+Valves&year=

The second valve needed is a factory combination valve. (hold-off)

Not sure on this!

What kind of car do I get this from, does it matter, I have 1/4" lines? Are simular looking to a proporching valve, wouldent want to get the wrong thing.

Does the Ford master cylinder with 2 ports get plumbed to this valve and then from there go to the front and back.

update: After doing some searching I see you have sugested  s10 is a good all round choise and has worked out well for you. I was thinking early 90's s10 disk/drum, seems to be alot of them around! Asuming this is correct, with this installed does the 2lb valve get installed between the combo valve and the calipers? or otherwise?

enjenjo

I think you are going to have a difficult time finding a combo valve that is set up for 1/4" lines to the front. For the most part, your system duplicates a 70's Camaro, so that would be a good source for the valve.

A combo valve looks like this  http://www.mpbrakes.com/mp21.htm

rooster

Quote from: "enjenjo"I think you are going to have a difficult time finding a combo valve that is set up for 1/4" lines to the front. For the most part, your system duplicates a 70's Camaro, so that would be a good source for the valve.

A combo valve looks like this  http://www.mpbrakes.com/mp21.htm

Actually I had to convert for the 1/4" to fit the ford MC! The front port is 5/16", the rear is 3/16" Ill get a Camero combo valve and see what I need.  I got these fitting from Edelmann:
http://www.plews-edelmann.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=2320&location_id=2803

Thanks for the help!!!!!!

MY vote, put the componet post in Canuck 's Post you made in the tech section!

rooster

I came back to see the picture of the valve but it was not there any more! This is what we drug home frome the pick n pull today. It off a full sized chevy with a v8 and disks up front, it was bolted to the side of the frame. I hope its the right one.

enjenjo

It will do. Left side to rear brakes, left top to rear master cylinder port, right top to front master cylinder, right diagonal to left front brake, right lower to right front brake. You still need a 2 psi residual valve, it will go in the line from the master cylinder to the top right port.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"It will do. Left side to rear brakes, left top to rear master cylinder port, right top to front master cylinder, right diagonal to left front brake, right lower to right front brake. You still need a 2 psi residual valve, it will go in the line from the master cylinder to the top right port.
You guys got me all confused. Everything is upside-down and backwards. The top is at the bottom and the back is now in front. Make sure the emergency brake works. GPster

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"It will do. Left side to rear brakes, left top to rear master cylinder port, right top to front master cylinder, right diagonal to left front brake, right lower to right front brake. You still need a 2 psi residual valve, it will go in the line from the master cylinder to the top right port.

My buddy just left in the 30 model a i set up.. under floor m/c no valves of any kind... disk front drum rear stops great. Sorry but im kinda old school here and never had a problem till i tried all the right stuff :lol:  But there are better ways they tell me.
Dave :?:

Dirk35

Use Stainless Steel Brakes Corp Residual Valves. I used Wilwood ones, and am not happy. I got squishy pedal.