Check out this video

Started by sirstude, May 24, 2006, 05:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

Look at the heat in the turbos on this F1 car from back a few years.  Found this out on the Garage Journal site.

Doug

http://metacool.typepad.com/metacool/2006/02/unabashed_gearh.html/[url]
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

sirstude

1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

58 Yeoman

I liked the 'tough guys' that didn't cover their ears.  WHAT'D YOU SAY?
Touch the headers and see if they're hot. :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

river1

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"I liked the 'tough guys' that didn't cover their ears.  WHAT'D YOU SAY?

hopefully they have ear plugs in. i used to be a 'tough guy' at work but now my hearing is not so good anymore :oops:  makes me regret not using protection :oops:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

phat46

How'd you like to be strapped a few inches in front of that rabid barking dog!???  :shock:

Sean

Quote from: "river1"i used to be a 'tough guy' at work but now my hearing is not so good anymore :oops:  makes me regret not using protection :oops:

later jim

Me too. By the time I tried to get into the Marine Corps at 18, I couldn't pass the hearing test. They said I had lost 70% of the high frequency range in my right ear.  Working on Dirt track and Drag cars with my buddys and shooting without hearing protection took care of that for me. I wear hearing protection now...

Cool video. Those things sound wicked...

Crafty

Thats an Arrows from about 2001/2. 3 litre V10, no turbos or supercharger. What you see is the headers glowing. Alas Arrows are no more, but the japanese "Super Argui" team are currently using that cars' chassis this year while they design their own.

Yes they are very loud as they idle at 5-7rpm and rev to 17.5-18k!
Naturally theres not alot of torque in these engines, short stroke and high revs but plenty of power, than engine will be in excess of 700hp, the most powerful V10s got to over 800hp.

They use exotic metals like inconel for the headers. see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inconel

Turbos in F1 cars were banned in the late 80s, all of those engines were much smaller displacement as they had to be less than 1500cc. You can see some excellent pics of the BMW engine at: http://www.gurneyflap.com/bmwturbof1engine.html  there are also pictures of the honda, renault and zakspeed engines there too.

The 3 litre V10 you see in that video is now "old news", this year F1 runs on 2.4 litre V8 engines, somewhere around 700-800hp. If that sounds low remember the whole car and driver only weighs 600kg.. The V8s can rev to 20,000 rpm  :shock: