Carpet

Started by tonto1, May 25, 2006, 08:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1

Has anyone on here installed their own carpet.  My floor is modified so I don't think one made for my car will fit.
What I don't understand is how you mold the carpet over the transmission hump and the driveshaft tunnel.
Is there a special kind of carpet that can be molded? : : :?
Why are there more horses a**es in the world than there are horses?

enjenjo

There are a couple ways to do it. You can heat the backing with a heat gun, or a steamer and form it by hand, but it is time consuming. Or it can be taylored, done right, it looks great.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tonto1

Thanks for the reply Frank
When you say tailored, do you mean cut to fit over the transmission hump and driveshaft tunnel?

enjenjo

Quote from: "tonto1"Thanks for the reply Frank
When you say tailored, do you mean cut to fit over the transmission hump and driveshaft tunnel?

Yup, sewed and all. done right, it can't be seen.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

alchevy

I went to Home Depot and bought some of their indoor/outdoor carpet. Worked good. My tranny tunnel is not very tall so the carpet laid down good.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Arnold

Quote from: "tonto1"Has anyone on here installed their own carpet.  My floor is modified so I don't think one made for my car will fit.
What I don't understand is how you mold the carpet over the transmission hump and the driveshaft tunnel.

Get a big enough and free piece of carpet.It is not hard to figure out where it has to be cut.You can move the cuts and the patch pieces to where it is the least noticeable.The higher the nap the less noticeable it will be.See what you think.If you wanna go further with this..get some carpet tape.Take a look.If you are going to go ahead with it..as mentioned..Home Depot..and just about anywhere/everywhere else has carpet.Dirt cheap too.Get carpet that is designed to be bonded .Glue it together.I would use a narrow and thin backer and glue it to that too.You would be surprised how good a job you can do..and dirt cheap too.

348tripower

Quote from: "tonto1"Has anyone on here installed their own carpet.  My floor is modified so I don't think one made for my car will fit.

Do a search for American Trim and Upholstery. Atrim.com. They have a inexpensive stretch carpet that you can mold to fit your application. I have had it in two cars and it is pretty good.  I have a  carpet in my 37 that was about 50 bucks a yard. I think it is a import carpet and it is stretch to fit too.
Don Colliau

tonto1

Thanks for all the input.
I'm going to be at the Springfield show Saturday. Maybe there will be a vendor that will have something I can look at.
I'm also hoping there will be some wheel vendors there. I want to get some steel wheels that will accept a '41 Chevy original style hubcap or a replica