Steering Column Wiring

Started by loiselle, May 16, 2006, 09:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loiselle

I am putting a 1990 S10 tilt steering column into a Model A and using an aftermarket wiring harness. I found that the wiper power wire coming from the fuse box is hot only when the key is on. However, the wiper switch on the column does not work, the wiper power is always on. So, I suppose you have to run that wiper power wire to the column and then from the column switch to the wiper. What wires do I connect to on the steering column. Help?

Do you have a wiring schematic for a 1990 S10 steering column? Thanks.
Larry D. Loiselle
30maccp@gmail.com
http://loiselle.witnesstoday.org/
Be Righteous Not Politically Correct

MrMopar64

You might try this site....... http://www.the12volt.com/

Good Luck

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

Dirk35

Do a search of the archiecs for my posts. I used a Camaro Steering Column from the 90s and had similar questions and responses of schematics about 5 months ago.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "loiselle"I am putting a 1990 S10 tilt steering column into a Model A and using an aftermarket wiring harness. I found that the wiper power wire coming from the fuse box is hot only when the key is on. However, the wiper switch on the column does not work, the wiper power is always on. So, I suppose you have to run that wiper power wire to the column and then from the column switch to the wiper. What wires do I connect to on the steering column. Help?

Do you have a wiring schematic for a 1990 S10 steering column? Thanks.

GM wiper wiring is a little funny.   The last one that I did where I wanted the column switch to operate the wiper, I only used the column switch to trip a relay that in turn ran the wiper.  I am sure the column wiper switch is not wired heavy enough to run a wiper motor.

What wiper motor are you using?

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

sirstude

Remember, most wiper motors are wired hot, and the switch just grounds the various speeds.  If you happen to be using a wiper motor with park, it will only work that way.  I have a diagram at home on how to use a relay with an American car wiper switch and a Japanese car wiper motor.  They seem to be wired diferently.  I will look tonight after the cruise and post it.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us