What a waste

Started by EMSjunkie, May 16, 2006, 08:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EMSjunkie

About 60 miles east of Amarillo on Hiway 60 there is an old junk yard that has long since closed. the old boy who had the yard kept the land and a few choice vehicles.  8)

only problem is, he ain't gonna DO anything with them. :x  :x

and ain't a one of them for sale. :evil:

matter of fact, he got rather beligerent with me, told me I had about 30 seconds to get out of his shop, or he was gonna start shootin'  :shock:  :shock:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

1FATGMC

I think some people are fascinated with the process of rust and just like to see how long it will take for the cars they are hoarding to rust away,

Sum

58 Yeoman

I've run across people like that; actually, I'd rather run them over.  They enjoy having something that someone wants, and they have no intention of ever doing anything with it.  I guess they think that they can take it with them when they die.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

EMSjunkie

I wished I could have gotten some better pictures. :(

but I was too busy looking over my shoulder and waiting for the shotgun blast :shock:  :shock:

the cars and trucks are 3 rows deep, and about 500-600 feet long.

I didn't have a chance to count, but I would venture to guess about 250-300 cars and trucks of various years, makes, and models.

I have driven by this place for years, finally had my camera with me and a little extra time.

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

donsrods

We.ve all seen this sort of mentality time after time. They will just sit on it until it actually crumbles into the ground, but "they are going to fix it up someday."

When I moved to Cape Coral in 1985 there was a cherry pie '58 Chevy 2 door with 348 sitting at a garage. For 20 years I watched it go from nice to rust, and they were "going to fix it up someday." Finally, last year they said make me an offer, but by that time it was so rusty I didn't even offer $ 500.00 for it. I think they finally junked it.

Like you said, "what a waste."

Don

58 Yeoman

A few years back, we were heading north through Jamestown, TN., and ran across this yard.  It was late in the day, and the owner didn't want to let me in the yard, but the cars were for sale.  He let me take pix; there were some good looking cars in there.

I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Dirk35

There is a yard in Stillwater, OK (where I live)  with cars in the 30s, 40s, 50s, some 60s and 70s, like the one 58 Yoeman posted (but not as nice condition) that he wants to sell EVARY ONE of them. Good prices too. Hauf Auto. His kids will eventually inherit it and will auction/crush it off someday. Gene Hauf wants to sell them before that heppens to save them.

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Dirk35"There is a yard in Stillwater, OK (where I live)  with cars in the 30s, 40s, 50s, some 60s and 70s, like the one 58 Yoeman posted (but not as nice condition) that he wants to sell EVARY ONE of them.   .

Gimme an address :!:  :!:  :!:

I need another project. 8)

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

48ford

Irene has a brother that farms cotton outside of Lubbock,His boss never tosses anything out,wont sell, just keeps adding to the mess. I could use some parts off one of the 64 chevy trucks he has.
russ&Irene

EMSjunkie

Lubbock is only 2 hrs south of me.  :)  

Lobuc lives just outside Lubbock. 8)

gimme an address, I'll e-mail Lobuc, and we'll make plans for a "midnight" parts aquisition. :shock:

get a list started.  :idea:

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

Rrumbler

I think we've all seen these folks, especially in rural areas of the country.  When I was a youngster, there was guy who lived about ten miles from town who had a collection of cars like this, only he had bought and driven every one until it stopped running, then put it in line with the rest of them and gotten another new one - they were all Pontiacs, dating from the early thirties, I believe, or possibly earlier.  We moved away from there in 1968, and he was very old by then, but was driving a new '67 Bonneville.  One time, a buddy and I went to see him to try to talk him out of one or more of his "trophies"; he got really hot, and ordered us off his place, said not to come back or we'd be met with lead.  :shock:  :-}
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

jaybee

What's especially sad is that these are the guys that lead to crackdowns on "junk cars".  A few people hoard usable cars until they crumble to dust and next thing you know the county is on a vendetta to eliminate every nonrunning car in their jurisdiction.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Dirty2

Theres a yard heading out of Canyon going towards Claud that has some good cars.
If it aint got 3 pedals it aint no HOT ROD !!
Built Ford tuff with Chevy stuff !