Anybody know A/C fittings?

Started by 48builder, May 12, 2006, 09:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

I'm trying to come up with an A/C fitting. I want to use the OEM pressure switch that was on my Z28 donor. It is a three-wire switch that feeds the computer. I can't find a fitting that will allow me to use this pressure switch on my custom hoses. A local A/C shop said they can cut the OEM hose, which is aluminum, and then use a compression type fitting on each end, and then use rubber A/C hose to mate to the 90 degree fitting I need. That solution looks like heck. Another shop said they had a drier that had a port that the switch would screw on, but when I got it home the switch was too small for the port.

I'm just trying to come with something that will look decent and allow me to use this stock GM pressure switch. Any ideas? maybe there's an adapter that will mate this switch to the drier I have.

Thanks,

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

tomslik

Quote from: "48builder"I'm trying to come up with an A/C fitting. I want to use the OEM pressure switch that was on my Z28 donor. It is a three-wire switch that feeds the computer. I can't find a fitting that will allow me to use this pressure switch on my custom hoses. A local A/C shop said they can cut the OEM hose, which is aluminum, and then use a compression type fitting on each end, and then use rubber A/C hose to mate to the 90 degree fitting I need. That solution looks like heck. Another shop said they had a drier that had a port that the switch would screw on, but when I got it home the switch was too small for the port.

I'm just trying to come with something that will look decent and allow me to use this stock GM pressure switch. Any ideas? maybe there's an adapter that will mate this switch to the drier I have.

Thanks,

Walt

see if they have a service port splice for R12 the size of hose you wanna put it in and put it in.
shouldn't be a big deal at all.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

48builder

Quote from: "tomslik"
see if they have a service port splice for R12 the size of hose you wanna put it in and put it in.

Is the R12 port smaller than 134? I have service ports for the hoses I am making, and they are much larger than this pressure switch.

I'm also thinking about looking for a different pressure switch, but not sure what signal my PCM is looking for.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

Leon

Those switches are "trinary" switches.  One part shuts the system down if pressure is too low, and the other turns on the fan when the pressure goes high.  They fail enough on their own that I wouldn't use the old one.  Call someone like Vintage Air, Southern Air, Old Air, and ask for a switch and fitting.  If you are using R134 you should be using Beadlock fittings which they all carry.

tomslik

Quote from: "48builder"
Quote from: "tomslik"

Is the R12 port smaller than 134? I have service ports for the hoses I am making, and they are much larger than this pressure switch.

I'm also thinking about looking for a different pressure switch, but not sure what signal my PCM is looking for.

yep,
r12 and r134 are completely different.
why not just get a new switch like the one you have?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

Carefully cut the fitting off the old line, and TIG weld it in the new one.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Roadstar

Quote from: "Leon"Those switches are "trinary" switches.  One part shuts the system down if pressure is too low, and the other turns on the fan when the pressure goes high.  They fail enough on their own that I wouldn't use the old one.  Call someone like Vintage Air, Southern Air, Old Air, and ask for a switch and fitting.  If you are using R134 you should be using Beadlock fittings which they all carry.

I wouldn't put that nasy old switch on a car I was building. Just get a new one from Vinage Air and tap it into the dryer with fitting they have.

48builder

I wouldn't put that nasy old switch on a car I was building. Just get a new one from Vinage Air and tap it into the dryer with fitting they have.

That's probably what I will do. I'm just concerned about the signals going to my PCM. Not sure if the aftermarket switches would be the same. It looks like my OEM switch is probably a trinary switch. There are three wires going to it.
'39 Chevy driver