Front 9" Ford from 4WD

Started by flamefink, May 07, 2006, 11:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flamefink

I remember a long while back there being a tech post about 8" and 9" Ford rear ends and can't seem to find it. I have a couple questions about the 4WD front axle.

Is the center section of the front axle of any use and can it be used in a rear housing? I've also come to understand they would normally use the same gear ratio in the front as in the back, as well as being posi... is that currect?

I just purchased the 9" out of a late 70's Bronco and it turned out to be a ratio I was looking for as well as being posi. I'm asking because I'm thinking about going back to get the front axle as well.
Do you need a tetanus shot to ride in that thing?

enjenjo

the front won't be a 9", it will be a Dana 44. As far as ratios, they won't be exactly the same. Typically they had a 4.10 rear, and a 4.09 front, 3.70 rear, 3.73 front, 3.50 rear, 3.54 front, 3.25 rear, 3.23 front.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"the front won't be a 9", it will be a Dana 44. As far as ratios, they won't be exactly the same. Typically they had a 4.10 rear, and a 4.09 front, 3.70 rear, 3.73 front, 3.50 rear, 3.54 front, 3.25 rear, 3.23 front.

is the diffs that look like upside down 9 inch ford in the front a 4x4 ford truck what we are talking about here?  Used in the 1970's if I recall ?

:?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Quoteis the diffs that look like upside down 9 inch ford in the front a 4x4 ford truck what we are talking about here? Used in the 1970's if I recall ?

Up to 79 Ford used a Dana 44. In 80 they went to a 9" looking thing, but it had reverse cut gears.

Arnold

Quote from: "enjenjo"the front won't be a 9", it will be a Dana 44. As far as ratios, they won't be exactly the same. Typically they had a 4.10 rear, and a 4.09 front, 3.70 rear, 3.73 front, 3.50 rear, 3.54 front, 3.25 rear, 3.23 front.

Enjenjoe..are you sure that the 9" Ford diff in the 4X4 rear will fit other housings? I am pretty sure the ring and pinion interchange..but I also think that there is some issue of the actual 4X4 dif case fittiing in other housings? I ran into this with some rear housings on GM 12 bolt trucks.The 4X4 dif case and housing was different

Dana 44 front dif.case,dif,gears,bearings,related guts are generic to at least 71-79 domestic 4X4 front.The entire dif.,..case...complete with bearings, interchanges between the individual front axle housings of Ford,GM,Chrysler.With of course any shimming.There are different covers..not interchangeable..even between the 1/2 and 3/4 hsngs..as well as manufacturers.They all use different inner axle seals..only accessible when you pull the dif.The only difference in the seals is the style.The Chrysler seals are by far the cheapest..easiest to instal. and seem to work just as well.
  From my experience I can't remember much of this Dana 44 front stuff fitting anything else.I think..that the dif.gears(inside the case) and shafts interchange to other than 4X4..but I am not 100% sure about this anymore.Been a long time since I played with these.

If I recall correctly..I think there is the same ring gear size issue(0verall o/d),and perhaps dif case too, with these Dana 44..as there is between the ring gear,case size, of GM 10 bolt car and truck and 12 bolt car and truck.

For what is involved in pulling the case..requiring driveshaft,axles,removal..If you want the gears..ring and pinion.. you pretty well have to take the outer race in the housing too..or else replace both the pinion bearing and outer race.These ain't mix and match.And by the time you get a pinion bearing,race..have to shim the thing up..and it only fits 4X4's..I'ld say leave the front stuff there.

enjenjo

Some of the 4x4 rears were 9 3/8" ring gear. they will fit in a 9" housing by grinding a couple notches in the housing.

Outside of the Fords with the reverse cut ring and pinion, all Dana 44 gears will interchange front to rear.

flamefink

Thanks for the info.

I bought the rear axle and when it comes time to use it, I'll probably be using the housing and everything. I'll just narrow it to fit and most likely buy new axles.

As for the front end, I'll just let the guy at the junk yard know I'm no longer interested and it'll probably go to the crusher by Friday.

Not sure if anyone is looking for one, but that Bronco had a 351 Windsor 4V in it. The guy at the junk yard told me he couldnt remember why this thing was there... either bad motor or bad tranny.The motor looked pretty clean externally, and I guess it'd be good for parts atleast. I passed on it because all we have is a 351 Cleveland.
Do you need a tetanus shot to ride in that thing?