Trans...irritating problem..for Crosley..

Started by Arnold, May 06, 2006, 02:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

.No o/d, lockup,doesn't appear to be any electrics/electronics either.GM fwd tbi motor about 94 or so.Maintained..fluid/filter.About 200k.Works perfect.

Right.Works perfect.When cold.Down to 0 deg  anyway.As soon as it starts to warm up..it decides that it will get lazy with the decel. downshift.For a little while it doesn't shift into 1..stays in 2..SOoo...you start  in 2.Then it starts doing it in 3..Finally stays in 3.No upshifts or downshifts.Starts in 3.Stays in 3.

Right before it reaches operating temperature..it starts to act normal .
Perfect when normal,hot.

Just does this AS it is warming up.Just as soon as there is any air other than cold out of the heater/defroster..it starts acting up until the air is warm/hot.Then it is fine.

It has been doing this for a long time now.And it does it ALL the time.If you manage to have to do a whole bunch of real short errands when it is very cold..and it never warms up much it is fine.

I started to simply shift it manually 1-2,2-D(3) as it does this when warming up.

Did a couple fluid/filter changes.No change.Fluid/fliters look good.

Nothing wrong with this tranny that I can see? BUT! it is starting to ANNOY me more and more and more..as to WHY it is doing this??? I have built trannies..but am NO expert.However..I MAY have to tear into this thing 'Cause it BUGS ME!

I just have NO idea why this thing works so well cold and hot..but does this as it is warming up.And it does it SO consistenlly..like clockwork.I have taken a quick look around/under this thing and there doesn't appear to be any sensors/wires/electrics/electronics or anything on it.Doesn't look like anything is missing?Unless I missed something??  .Appears to me to be a run of the mill  3 speed auto. with no o/d,no lockup and no electrics/electronics.Engine runs perfect.1st gen tbi.Ob1.

It'll probablly annoy me to the point where I have to pull it apart...

Crosley.In.AZ

you say no electronics, no lock up ,  no over-drive, IE: a 3 speed trans axle. If it is a 1994 unit it should have electronics on it and a lockup converter.

From the early 1980's Gm's stuff usually had lockup converters and by late 80's many had more electronics on them

does it have a TV cable from the trans to the TBI on the engine?

Is the TV adjusted correctly?

Or is there an electric connector on the trans?  Round or square?

At that high mileage the vavle body and related control surfaces are worn.  The bores & the valves wear.  

Sounds like there is an internal leak somewhere causing the shift problems since it happens with temperature changes of the fluid.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Arnold".....Right before it reaches operating temperature..it starts to act normal .............Perfect when normal,hot...

I suggest re-locating to Phoenix.  If the heat doesn't fix it Tony will :wink: .

c ya, Sum

Arnold

Quote from: "Crosley"you say no electronics, no lock up ,  no over-drive, IE: a 3 speed trans axle. If it is a 1994 unit it should have electronics on it and a lockup converter.

From the early 1980's Gm's stuff usually had lockup converters and by late 80's many had more electronics on them

does it have a TV cable from the trans to the TBI on the engine?

Is the TV adjusted correctly?

Or is there an electric connector on the trans?  Round or square?

At that high mileage the vavle body and related control surfaces are worn.  The bores & the valves wear.  

Sounds like there is an internal leak somewhere causing the shift problems since it happens with temperature changes of the fluid.

Thanks Cros..
  My bad there..sort of..sorry..
  I too thought that pretty much all GM's after about 82/3/4 had Od and lockups..I know that some Chev. cop cars still had 3 speeds,no lockup around 85 or so.Electrics/electronics..I thought all had them after about 87/88..
   Anyway..this is a 3 speed.No o/d No lockup..no electrics/electronics..can't see any wires at all going to it.No tv cable.No plug/electrical connector.
  Turns out this is a Japanese engine :roll: ..in about a 94 Firefly.Apparentlly..here in Canada anyway..these trans are the same 89-94 anyway..GM..Sprint/Firefly/Geo..Suzuki..basically Suzuki engines.Not sure about the trans..maybe too.

I had kinda guessed that maybe the valve body..or internally there could be a leak..either when hot or cold.But it did fool me when it was ok both cold and hot..just not when warming up.And it really does run and shift so well both hot and cold.

Old..worn..probablly a combination of valve body and internal leaks as you say..
  Maybe I should break out the gauges..and p. test it. NOT!

I sold some skis on Ebay to a guy who lives in AZ..he said I could/should come visit..ski.Maybe I should it drive there from Toronto..let Tony take a look at it :twisted:  while I ski. :lol:

Thanks again...