Any car happenings in Lincoln, NE this weekend?

Started by 48builder, May 02, 2006, 12:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

My wife and I are flying to Lincoln on Friday. I am running in the Lincoln marathon on Sunday. I am representing the NY National Guard in the US National Guard championships.

I'm not sure how mich free time I'll have, but if there is anything going on Friday night or Saturday, I might be able to get there for a bit.

I left Omaha in '79, and haven't been to Lincoln since then either. I do love both of those cities, and often wish I never left.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

Scrap Fe

Walt,

I don't know if Speedway Motors museum is open on weekends but it is sure worth a visit.

rumrumm

If Speedway Motors is not open, and you don't mind museums,  check out Morrill Hall  on the UN-L campus. It beats Chicago's Field Museum for its natural history exhibits. And you have to have a Valentino's Pizza.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

36vicky

Or check out "Liberty Bell 7" at the Strategic Air and Space Museum.

http://www.strategicairandspace.com/exhibit/exhibits5.html

The museum is just a few miles up the interstate (I-80) east toward Omaha.
The Vicky Henry never built, it won\'t be long now, it won\'t be long now, it won\'t be long now...  Tom G.

moparrodder

Give John MacKichan a call,he is in the museum operations and was our guide on the 25th of march that Daryle(40) set up,he is a super guide and is a car guy to boot. His cell number is 402-416-4110 or email him at  jmackichan@speedwaymotors.com   they have tours on Saturday mornings and believe me it's worth doing and John will give you the best tour you could ask for.  I have emailed him a couple of times since our tour and he replys quickly, tell him that you're one of the RRT members that couldn't make the March 25th tour and he may take you with another group.  John also has a salt flat racer in the museum that is awesum.  If you take the tour you wont be disappointed.   Bill

34ford

Walt,

The only thing car wise is the Friday night cruise at Culver's restaurant in the southeast part of town at 70th and Pioneers and the Saturday night cruise at Culvers in the north part of town at north 27th and Cornhusker. Usually different cars at both places. People start showing up around 5:30. Depends where you are staying at. If you decide to go to the south one let me know and we can maybe meet there.  We usually go there since it's only about a mile from our place.

The Speedway tour is worth the time. It is a couple of hours depending on the size of the group. I'd definitely give John a call or call Speedway and check on a tour. They have them every Saturday during the summer and I don't know when the summer schedule begins.
bob

Mikej

The speedway tours start at 2pm. John said" that they would fit you in with another group if there is only a couple of people". Might be worth emailing him. I would like to go again some time.

48builder

Quote from: "34ford"Walt,

Depends where you are staying at.

The Speedway tour is worth the time. It is a couple of hours depending on the size of the group. I'd definitely give John a call or call Speedway and check on a tour. They have them every Saturday during the summer and I don't know when the summer schedule begins.
bob

We are staying a tthe Embassy Suites on P Street. I will email John and see how that turns out. I know I have to go to a National Guard function Saturday night, but Friday night and Saturfay afternoon should be free.

Thanks for all the info, guys.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

48builder

Quote from: "36vicky"Or check out "Liberty Bell 7" at the Strategic Air and Space Museum.

http://www.strategicairandspace.com/exhibit/exhibits5.html

The museum is just a few miles up the interstate (I-80) east toward Omaha.

I went to this when I was stationed at Offutt. Looks like it has changed quite a bit since then!
'39 Chevy driver

48builder

Quote from: "34ford"Walt,

If you decide to go to the south one let me know and we can maybe meet there.  We usually go there since it's only about a mile from our place.

bob

Hey Bob,

If I get to Culvers Friday night, how will I recognize you? I'll probably be the skinniest old guy there. Marathon runners get that way. I assume you drive a 34 Ford. What color is it?

Walt
'39 Chevy driver

34ford

[/quote]

Hey Bob,

If I get to Culvers Friday night, how will I recognize you? I'll probably be the skinniest old guy there. Marathon runners get that way. I assume you drive a 34 Ford. What color is it?

Walt[/quote]

I'll be the old not so skinny guy as I'm not a runner. :lol:  :lol:   I do have a 34 but am in the process of blocking out the first 3 coats of primer on the body now. All the other 20 parts have been blocked and the next 3 coats of primer on and guide coated waiting patiently for me to sand them again. Man I really hate sanding now.  :(  I'll pm you my cell 3 and you can give me a call when you head over there Friday night if you do go.

bob