Mystery sound coming from my trans?

Started by BFS57, April 25, 2006, 11:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
I just got my 57 Chevy back from the transmission shop (rebuilt my 700 r4). Everything seemed ok except on the way home, I started to hear a kind of gear teeth kind of "bee hive" kind of sound (thought it might be a loose cover). Next day, I drove the car to a friend of mine to try to find this sound. Without notice, I started the car to find that this small sound had progressed into a "Loud as Hell" sound kind of like a blower!! You almost have to plug your ears it's so loud!. My friend seems to think it's a pump in the trans making this sound (I don't have power steering so we know it's not that pump!
Any one of you got an assumption! I have already informed the Trans shop to be looking for my car on a tow truck!

Bruce

BFS57

Hello;
Well, I'm a little further along than before but I still have no clue as to what is making this sound, and the missing. I changed out my secondary wiring and Dist cap, Doesn't stop the missing. I did find out that the high pitch "whistling sound" is coming from the Carb area! I can adjust the sound out with the mixture screws (edelbrock 1406) but it is running so slow at that point that it wouldn't stay running in gear! I replaced the carb base gasket! No help! still has this sound. When I adjust the carb to a running speed the sound comes back! HOW WIERD IS THAT!! This is a good one for Sherlock Holmes!!
The sound is very loud and sounds like a supercharger! I've checked all my vacuum lines, vacuum plugs, I even put a vacuum gage on it and vacuum  seems to be fine! What the heck?
Anyone got any clues? I'm about out of "things to check" in my brain!
Bruce

MrMopar64

Sounds like a vacuum leak....... Try spraying some WD40 around the carb and where the manifold mounts on the head with it running and if there is a leak you will know by the change in the sound of the engine

Good Luck

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

Arnold

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
Well, I'm a little further along than before but I still have no clue as to what is making this sound, and the missing. I changed out my secondary wiring and Dist cap, Doesn't stop the missing. I did find out that the high pitch "whistling sound" is coming from the Carb area! I can adjust the sound out with the mixture screws (edelbrock 1406) but it is running so slow at that point that it wouldn't stay running in gear! I replaced the carb base gasket! No help! still has this sound. When I adjust the carb to a running speed the sound comes back! HOW WIERD IS THAT!! This is a good one for Sherlock Holmes!!
The sound is very loud and sounds like a supercharger! I've checked all my vacuum lines, vacuum plugs, I even put a vacuum gage on it and vacuum  seems to be fine! What the heck?
Anyone got any clues? I'm about out of "things to check" in my brain!
Bruce

I had a similar sound coming from an sbc.Sounded like a "mechanical bird chirp"..but fast.Increased with rpm..I didn't find it till it almost quit.Dist rotor..(hei) came loose.Check the dist play too.

enjenjo

I had one do something similar after a trans replacement, the distributor cap had cocked, and broke the tip on the rotor. It still ran, but not well.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

BFS57

Hello;
After much fiddling and fiddling, I finally have a answer! I sprayed wd-40 around while it was running and when I got to the place where the fuel is delivered in the front passenger side where the head and intake bolt together, the motor changed and the "Whistling" went away!Can You fancy that! A intake gasket failure!
I put a new intake on a couple months ago!
Called my friend that built the motor. He informed me that the motor had had some machine work done to it but he didn't know what was done because he got it from his boss to build. Now the machine the intake to match comes into play but just how much? How can I tell? I purchased a set of Mr. gasket intake gaskets that are made for this kind of thing.
Anyone got any hints?
Bruce