New member 1940 Mercury project

Started by Kobies Kool 40, April 23, 2006, 08:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kobies Kool 40

Here's some pics of my Merc.  Bought the car in '96 and farted around with the frame and motor/tranny until 2000.  Nova subframe and rearend.  Built a 388 Stroker/350 Turbo to plop in when we get to that point.  Yesterday my Dad and I finally drug her back into the garage and made a vow that when it goes back to the shed this fall it will be under her own power.  Hard to believe I've had the car 10 years and it still looks like this.  Thanks for looking and this summer I hope I can post some pics of me whippin' cookies in the neighbors yard.

terrarodder

Good start at least its on four wheels, keep going now. It took me 10 yrs. to get it on the road than just barely, no matter how ruff it still feels good.
normal people scare me

phat rat

what year sub? Have you had the frt sheetmetal on to tell whether or not the subs on the wide side?
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Kobies Kool 40

Quote from: "phat rat"what year sub? Have you had the frt sheetmetal on to tell whether or not the subs on the wide side?

the sub came off a '76, we've had the whole front on except for the grille, everything looks good  :D

phat46

Looks good, and don't worry about working on it for ten years, that's just a good start for some of the guys here!!!!!   :roll:

Dirk35

Looks good! Your really not that far away from a runner.

Pull that body off, run the brake and fuel lines. Put the body back on, toss in the engine, wire it. Drive it all summer before putitng back in the barn. :D

Its really easier said than done.

For the 10 years, that is no big deal.

If you really count it, I took 10 years also. I actually initally diss-assembled my 35 in 1995 with intentions of stock restore. I got it apart, and got bumped up in my job to meat cutter, then manager of the restraunt, and I  didnt touch it again until I had got promoted two restraunts and into a Federal job. I started work on it again in 2001, then got deployed for Army in 2003. One year in Army, and then the next year working in OKC and traveling back and fourth. Started back on it the first of 2005. I got it tagged and running about a month ago.

I actually spent 4 years working on it, and a good 6 years letting it sit in various stages. I would venture to say your on the exact same path I took.

"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

48builder

Quote from: "Kobies Kool 40"Here's some pics of my Merc.  Bought the car in '96 and farted around with the frame and motor/tranny until 2000.  Nova subframe and rearend.  

Welcome! I have been working on my car now for 9 years, and it looks about like yours! Cars are like fine wine. They get better the more they age.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

fatkoop

Don't feel bad about the time.  Four years ago, I took the radiator out of my '36 coupe to replace it (I estimated it would be back on the road next day.)   One thing led to another.......now, the only thing on the whole car I haven't rebuilt or replaced is the long block.  New paint, interior, wiring, all mechanicals, etc. Total rebuild.  I probably have at least a year or two to go.  My wife still asks me "how long is that radiator going to take to fix? "  I love hot rods, on the road or not, best hobby in the world.