A trans question for Crosley.....

Started by SKR8PN, April 21, 2006, 09:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKR8PN

Is it possible to retrofit a late model (like a 4L80E?)GM overdrive into an earlier (1989) Chevy/GMC 454 dually??  I am in the market for a used one ton single or dual rear wheel truck,but I don't want to spend the price for a later model truck,and I SURE don't wanna spend the money to FEED a big block with a 400 turbo behind it... At least,not if a tranny refit would be feasable.

What says the tranny guru??
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Crosley.In.AZ

Bolt a Gear vendors OD unit on the t-400.

Costs of a 4L80E is some what high. IF you go looking for a L80E find a 1996 or newer. They are ID'd by the placement of the cooler line fittings. ONE fitting near the bell housing , the second fitting is near the rear of the main case

The 4L80E will bolt in. Drive shaft will need adjustment , move the cross member

You would need a controller for the L80E since it is full electronic control.

www.compushift.com is the controller to use if you go the L80E route.  VERY adjustable controller, good tech support
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

SKR8PN

Thanks Crosley!!  After I priced a trans and a controller,that GearVendors setup is looking more and more promising :lol:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "SKR8PN"Thanks Crosley!!  After I priced a trans and a controller,that GearVendors setup is looking more and more promising :lol:

On other item on a 4L80E conversion  is the speed-O.  The L80E never had a mechanical speed-O..... you must use a speed sensor. There are various conversion devices that provide a mechanical feed for a speed-O for an older vehicle.  This just adds more $$$ needed for the conversion.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)