HELP! Noisy Lifters

Started by speedracer, April 19, 2006, 12:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedracer

Man these lifters are driving me nuts!  Can someone tell how to adjust them so they won't rattle?  I've tried and I just can't get it right its either to loose or to tight so the engine won't run right.     HELP!!
Thanks, Johnny
Oh yea its a 350 chevy with a proformance cam from Edelbrock and the lifters are roller from edelbrock too.

jaybee

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

solid lifter or hydraulic? standard lifters or Rhodes? what did the instructions say?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

speedracer

Quote from: "jaybee"Roller hydraulics?
Hydraulic lifters and cam.

speedracer

Quote from: "enjenjo"solid lifter or hydraulic? standard lifters or Rhodes? what did the instructions say?
hydraulic lifters and cam.

speedracer

Quote from: "speedracer"
Quote from: "jaybee"Roller hydraulics?
Hydraulic lifters and cam.
roger roller hydraulics

speedracer

Quote from: "speedracer"
Quote from: "enjenjo"solid lifter or hydraulic? standard lifters or Rhodes? what did the instructions say?
hydraulic lifters and cam.
Instructions, what instructions?  It is a hydraulic roller lifter though.  Thanks, johnny

enjenjo

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/misc/tech_center/install/2000.shtml

I don't know which cam you have, I suspect a 2204. But all the intallation instructions are here for all the cams they make.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

speedracer

Quote from: "enjenjo"http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/misc/tech_center/install/2000.shtml

I don't know which cam you have, I suspect a 2204. But all the intallation instructions are here for all the cams they make.
Thanks for info, I looked up or tried to on the edelbrock link.  I think I found my power package.  It gave me the intake carb and heads but I could'nt find the cam card for mine, its there I just hadn't found it yet.
This engine was put together by a speed shop close by so I'm going by there in person to get all the spec's on everything that was done.  I filed that info away somewhere but like murphys law I can't find it when I need it.  I was speaking with a friend of mine and he said one way to adjust the lifters is to remove all spark plugs and valve covers, starting with #1 cylinder bump the starter till the piston is all the way up and tighten either the exhaust or intake valve till the push rod spins in your fingers then tighten 3/4 turn and continue with the rest.  But I called the shop and of course they said don't touch it and bring it in, I did make appointment for this monday to have them do it.  Being that they did all the work on the engine if I start doing anything it would void any warranty on there work done.  My view is that I wouldn't be doing anything if the lifters were adjusted correctly in the first place.  There should be something that could be done to keep the nuts from loosing up anyway.  I've never had a problem with lifters rattling in other engines that I've owned.  Anyway I'll let ya know what the outcome is next week---Thanks Enjenjo---Johnny

sirstude

What do you have for rockers?  I put the magnum roller tip rockers (look like a conventional rocker with a roller tip) on my 502 and they are just plain noisy.  Sounds like loose lifters, but they are the rockers.  Once I figured that out, everything is copacetic.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

speedracer

Quote from: "sirstude"What do you have for rockers?  I put the magnum roller tip rockers (look like a conventional rocker with a roller tip) on my 502 and they are just plain noisy.  Sounds like loose lifters, but they are the rockers.  Once I figured that out, everything is copacetic.

Doug
yea Doug there roller tips and there making a tapping noise.