Sprint car progress

Started by enjenjo, April 17, 2006, 09:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Here's some pic of the sprint car frame. I have 25 hours in it now, and am not done yet. I still have to weld up over 80 holes in the bottom of the rails, and straighten out what I have when finished. It has warped a bit from all the welding, and cutting out the scab patches put on it in the last 70 years.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

donsrods

What were all the holes from?  Various changes over the years? Looking better, though.

Don

enjenjo

well, from the looks of things, it had most of the original holes in it from when it was under a 29 Essex. Plus it appears it had at least three bodies over the years, and a couple engine changes. And of course it has been wrecked more than once. The right rear frame horn was brazed on. I found lead, brass, Bondo, and fiberglass in various holes, a few were welded, but not properly. There was a 1 1/2" hole on both sides that just had brass over a piece of tin filling them

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "enjenjo".......The right rear frame horn was brazed on. I found lead, brass, Bondo, and fiberglass in various holes, a few were welded, but not properly. There was a 1 1/2" hole on both sides that just had brass over a piece of tin filling them

Ah, yes.......

They don't build 'em like they used to.

Thank God!!!!
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

jaybee

Sounds like the perfect car for a driver that doesn't know much about his equipment!  He'll be more fearless that way.

Nice work, Frank.  You'll have this thing better than ever before it's all said and done.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

Well, I broke the welder last night with two holes to do to call it done.  :x
Spent the day today tracking down the parts to fix it, and picking up or dropping of parts. Left at 830 this morning, and didn't get home until three, then had to leave again top pick up steel. I also stripped this 48 Pontiac of the parts the junkyard didn't need, and got rid of it.

kb426

I missed out on the beginning. Is this going to be a street driver or a nostalgia racer?
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"I missed out on the beginning. Is this going to be a street driver or a nostalgia racer?

It's actually going in a museum, in Europe. the man who owns it wants it to be runable at car shows and rallys. He also has his own track that he can play on. :lol: